Source of our Food

Durgan

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Over the last few years I have become concerned about our source of food. Slowly, with some reflection, my conclusion is that there is something amiss. Now I wander through the typical supermarket and cynically consider that little is healthy food in the long term. The obesity figures and health concerns tend to confirm this observation. Fortunately in my particular case, I am in a position to make changes and have done so with some marked success.

Partial observations: No third world country should be exporting food, except in rare circumstances.
I bought a package of almonds about two pounds. I assumed they were from the USA. Looking closer the only indication of point of origin was a label, "Imported by".

Much of the supermarket food comes from India, China and other third world countries. Most canned food in particular.

Labelling on packages is "prepared for", "packed by" or
"imported by". This is simply an effort to disguise and confuse.

Shellfish comes from these countries: Vietnam ,
China , Philippines.

No-Name brand comes from Indonesia amongst other third world countries.

Glued Meat and Pink Slime are all home produced in the USA and Canada. Do a Google.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I wonder, if it says "A Product Of USA," does that mean it was produced or grown in USA? Also, Walmart sells a brand of frozen salmon fillet for a reasonable proice. The package clearly says "Wild Caught." Do we have any reason to believe it is what the label says? I'm asking this in response to Durgan's post, but anyone can answer, of course.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
It is scary to read the labels and know where our food is being produced. I am trying to raise as much of our food as possible. In our climate, I can garden all year around. In my winter garden I am growing broccoli, cauliflower, brussel sprouts, onions, lettuce, collard greens, turnips, mustard greens, garlic, radishes, and in the PVC plastic wrapped redneck greenhouse I have bell peppers and tomatoes.

Latest posts