Spider Identification?

HomesteaderWife

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Not necessarily a pest (at least, I am unsure) but we have a new...ermm...friend that keeps building a huge ground to tree web next to our shop. Body is around the size of a 50 cent piece and appears to be camo coloring with a bit of white on the back. I did a bit of digging into spiders from our state, but I'm really unsure of what it is. Does anyone have a clue what it may be? Thank you.

IMG_1628.jpg

HomesteaderWife

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I was wondering about orb weaver as well, but I didn't get quite close enough to tell anything else about it :eek:

I guess it has moved on though, as the web was partially gone and the spider nowhere to be seen today.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I would STILL want to know if it was poisonous or not. I am sure that there are more of them around you. Contact your Ag extension office and see if they can identify it. We in IL don't have many poisonous spiders or snakes, but we DO have the brown recluse, VERY toxic, and it likes to hide out in the corners of your basement.
My attitude about poisonous insects is live and let live... in my neighbors yard.