sprouted taters

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mine sprouted 2mo ago, I'm hoping they can hold out until no more frosts. Some I stuck into a laundry bin full of dirt and they are growing well.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Way to go Cane! That is so cool that you were able to grow those. Not only did you salvage bottom of the pile potatoes, but you turned them into supper!!

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was curious about the different colors/shapes. I wish that I had paid better attention to what went INTO the bags. -----
eta:
I went back and looked at the pictures from when I planted them. One of the bags DID have big taters in there. I didn't take note of which bag I got that big one from.
I'm not sure if I believe that a simi-rotted potato could become good again by being burried in damp soil......

Trust me, potatoes that are mushy and well sprouted do NOT revert into big, firm, delicious potatoes after a few months in a feed bag -- unless you and jackb have been experimenting with potatoes lately. . .

If it were earlier in the month I'd suggest someone who loves you stuck a red herring under your well growing potato plants as a joke. Why? 1.) The big tater looks as if it has a fork hole from harvesting. You wouldn't use a pitch fork to harvest from the bags. 2.) The big spud seems to have a well-cured skin that the other spuds do not have. 3.) That potato is HUGE. I would expect some of the other potatoes to be bigger if that one had time to grow so well.

How well do you trust your friends and family? Just saying. . . .

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
hmmmmmmmmmm that looks mighty suspicious to me...NOT trying to say you're not a good gardener Cane, it just doesn't seem like you could get that big of a potato in a bag in a short time!

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm with yall - that giant one is a puzzle. I planted 4 in each bag. When I dump them I'll see if there are 4 'big-ens' in each one or only 3 in one bag.... LOL

Wishin'

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Could it be one of the potatoes your friend put in there. Maybe it just stored well in there without sprouting or anything?:idunno

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was checking on the baby tomato plants yesterday and took a good look at the potato bags while I was in there. THEY ARE BLOOMING!!!!! LOL!! Who knew?!?! I could see a bit of a potato showing in the soil in one bag so covered it up.
Can anyone tell me (very clearly and simply) how to post a video? I'd love to take a short vid when I dump the bags and see what's down there.

Wishin'

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Are they inside? Will you need to pollinate them? And don't you need to wait for them to stop blooming and start to die back before harvesting them, so you get potatoes that are larger then grape sized?

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yup, they're in my spare room sitting under the window. The vines are leaning against the wall and are about 4' high! Since I've already found a few potatoes under them, I hadn't thought about pollinating. hum....
I was going to wait for them to start to die back and then dump the bags.
This has been a fun experiment. Hoping for enough to make a good dinner - possibly even enough to start several new bags with.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm thinking of potatoes like peanuts - where the plants bloom above ground and then develop seeds below ground. . .

No, the term "seed potato" isn't right. The tubers are just a plant part, not a seed. The flowers may form a fruit with seeds inside but that is something very different from the potatoes for the table.

@canesisters , do you have a YouTube account? It's easy and then TEG has buttons to insert the video link.

Steve

Latest posts