Squash seed

dickiebird

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
You need to start them in something where the roots will not be disturbed when you plant them. Squash family seedlings get stunted easily if disturbed. I only use peat pots..

They've never complained in the past, and I really hate the expense of peat pots.

THANX RICH

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Once again, for the benefit of newer members, a visit to your local elementary school can reap hundreds of half-pint milk containers. I love 'em for starting seedlings. They can be stapled together for ease of moving, the bottom can be removed prior to planting so the seedlings are not disturbed and the sides help keep cutworms from the plants. Totally biodegradable!

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I rinsed mine in a mesh strainer under cool water, then on spread out on a paper towel to air dry. I've never had an issue even if a little bit stick to the paper towel. I just gently lift them and plant them.

I also start them in cold frames to help save space and transplant them that way. The extra few weeks in the cold frame has always helped.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I agree, the extra time is a help in shorter growing seasons. Starting the seeds in my school milk boxes allows the plants to grow to a nice size and tearing out the bottom when planting them means no transplant problems.

I can get acorn squash and muskmelon relatively reliably up here -- and all summer varieties -- but don't have enough time for watermelon or the bigger squashes unless I start them early.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
I finally got around to cutting the squash. The plate with the squash and the seeds shows what seeds came out of that squash. The plate with just seeds is from one that just dried up and almost looked dehydrated and the seeds are pretty dry. I am going to spread those out to dry, but not rinse them off. The fresh ones I will rinse off and put on paper spread out.
Squash.jpg
Squash cut.jpg
seeds.jpg

Mauldintiger

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I don't think anyone mentioned this, but it's very easy to hand pollinate squash for pure seed. Watch for a female fower that's about to open (the next day), tear the top off, find a male in the same condition then pull the stamen (I think), rub it around in the female flower and wrap a leaf around it seal it off from the bees. Mark it with a piece of ribbon and that fruit is your seed for next year. It's really easy.

Latest posts