Started a couple seeds today

dbjay417

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
i hate to rub it in but i cant really talk about my projects without it coming up...

My first set of tomatoes have flowered.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
dbjay417 said:
i hate to rub it in but i cant really talk about my projects without it coming up...

My first set of tomatoes have flowered.
Oh that's just cruel!!!!
:gig

GrowinVeggiesInSC

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I planted my herb seeds yesterday, as well as the squash and zucchini. The rest of the garden will be started from plants towards the end of this month.
I also planted some scarlet hibiscus for the first time. The seeds have to be roughed up, so I hope I did enough sanding for them to germinate.
I am waiting for the weather to even out (right now we are fluctuating from lows of 30 one night to highs of 70 a few days later - and it's driving me nuts!). As soon as that happens, I am planting my wildflowers along the edge of my yard. I have mostly full sun with a few spaces that are partly shady, so I am expecting some good results - as long as I can keep the dogs from messing up my seedlings by running over them like last year! Anyone have any good ideas on keeping them off the planted areas? (the veggie garden will be fenced in, but the flowers won't)

Svenja in SC

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I had several attempts at hibiscus last august... I finally got some LOVELY growth on my Lady Biltmore Pink Hibsicus seeds. I only got 1 strong true shrub. Out of more then 24 seeds... some came up and then died.

I've found scoring them (with an exacto knife) worked better then sanding the outside down. They came up faster too by soaking them before planting. I created a mini greenhouse out of a plastic egg carton with air holes. Kept them moist when I couldn't water 4-5 times a day with a 'mist'. I also found spagnum moss mix was better then the other seed starting soils.

I had a lot of trial and error to get such a strong plant (it even survived my cat eating all its leaves the day I transplanted it to my kitchen window :he )

smom1976

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
smom1976 said:
some of my tomatos are in the ground :plbb

I know that is mean.. :hide

but I didnt plant 70 .. that is quite a bit of tomatos.. you eat that many?
OH MY GOODNESS.. Ha ha ha I digress.. I just counted and I planted 67 tomato plants. LOL :lol: :gig so in reality I DIDNT plant 70 but I did come close LOL .. IM still laughing on this one..

as for the dog.. Cayine pepper.. or any hot red pepper works great spreading it around.. you just have to do it on a regular basis.. I used chilli powder and that worked too.. the dog went to it sniffed and walked away sneezing..

GPN

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
6101_flowers_008_250x183.jpg

I just wanted to share what I found Yesterday in the Yard!! North Alabama GPN

Grow 4 Food

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
momofdrew said:
Grow 4 Food said:
:smack you are right that was mean!

I will put probably 25 in the ground and give away the rest just like the peppers.

You just cant buy a whole pack of seeds and not use the whole pack can you? Is that even legal!?! :D
A pack of most seeds can last you 4-5 years!!! just plant what you NEED then put the packets into a canning jar in a dark dry place and they will stay good for ya... LOL stop wasting seeds
I still have a whole month to wait through before I can START anything :hit
That is where you are wrong. I am not wasting seeds, everything that I start ends up in the dirt just might not be my dirt as long as it grows that is. ;)

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Grow 4 Food said:
momofdrew said:
Grow 4 Food said:
:smack you are right that was mean!

I will put probably 25 in the ground and give away the rest just like the peppers.

You just cant buy a whole pack of seeds and not use the whole pack can you? Is that even legal!?! :D
A pack of most seeds can last you 4-5 years!!! just plant what you NEED then put the packets into a canning jar in a dark dry place and they will stay good for ya... LOL stop wasting seeds
That is where you are wrong. I am not wasting seeds, everything that I start ends up in the dirt just might not be my dirt as long as it grows that is. ;)
I understand. I am giving away about 12 tomato plants this year, and I gave away about 50 carrot seeds as well. They are feeding someone else who needs it so I don't feel bad... chances are I will give away half of what I grow to neighbors and friends who are unemployed right now. This is a time of giving :)

Grow 4 Food

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
vfem said:
Grow 4 Food said:
momofdrew said:
I understand. I am giving away about 12 tomato plants this year, and I gave away about 50 carrot seeds as well. They are feeding someone else who needs it so I don't feel bad... chances are I will give away half of what I grow to neighbors and friends who are unemployed right now. This is a time of giving :)
Me too vfem. I probably use half give away a quarter and feed the other to the chickens. I think that there will be a lot of gardeners with this economy.

Latest posts