Started a couple seeds today

smom1976

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Why is it that gardeners have such a giving heart?

I have soo many tomato plants.. But my goal was to find tons of places for them and then give away the tomatos.. minus a few plants..

everyone keeps talking about their sauces.. I hope to find out about them LOL

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
My neighbors directly next door (a preacher and his wife) have asked my husband to build them a raised bed in their backyard. She wants to buy some seeds off of me (You know I'll give them to her) because she hasn't worked since her surgery and I don't think she's planning on going back now. I'm sure she's a bit nervous with the economy and wants to plan ahead now.

Come fall, if my potatoes work out... I'll be dumping a lot on people's door steps!!! LOL :D

KLSpoultry

Leafing Out
Reaction score
so since you guys all started some, that means i can right??

i'm in zone 5 and i'm dying to start my peppers and tomatoes!!

:fl tell me i can start some

Grow 4 Food

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
START! START QUICK! - indoors. :lol:

My tomatoes broke ground yesterday!! Now if I can just keep them alive I will be in good shape!

Not sure I am anywhere near putting anything outside yet, but I can't wait!

Grow 4 Food

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Ok, I went and gave them thier daily watering and checked on the starts. The tomatoes are about 80% sprouted!! I haven't seen any peppers yet but they will take 2-3 days longer. I also started some herbs in the living room window with a new type of grow method that I heard about from a friend.

You use a clear plastic sandwich container like a hot dog container from a gas station. Fill it half way with potting soil and moisten. Add your seeds you wish to start and add about 1/2 inch more of dirt and moisten again. Then you close the container completely and place in a window that gets the most sun during the day. Keeping it sealed "should" keep in the moisture as well as giving you the hot house effect. Sit back and wait (you can add water if needed). I will find out if it works in about 2 1/2 weeks.

2dream

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Grow 4 Food said:
Sit back and wait (you can add water if needed). I will find out if it works in about 2 1/2 weeks.
Watch those seeds close. They will probably sprout quicker than that. As soon as they break ground be sure to give them air or they will get leggy and/or mold. Both of which can kill them.

Picture the sad face of someone who used that method for the first time and killed all her seedlings. - Had to replant everything.

Now I check my seeds twice a day.

KLSpoultry

Leafing Out
Reaction score
i check my seeds every time i pass them in the kitchen and i just planted 4 days ago!!! :lol:

i'm going to be a master gardener yet!! :tools

sunnychooks

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
KLSpoultry said:
i check my seeds every time i pass them in the kitchen and i just planted 4 days ago!!! :lol:
OMG! I thought I was the only one who did that! I planted mine yesterday and I must have looked at them a dozen times already.
:p

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I do that! In fact, I was doing that with my onions and cucumbers... well.... my onions were up in like 3 days!!! I did a happy dance.... my cucumbers came up 2 days ago, and I have a cantelope sprout this morning. Very exciting!!!!!!!!!!! :weee

Latest posts