starting rosemary

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Holy, rosemary- Steve! It doesn't look you had a hard time getting those plants started! I was hoping to bring mine inside for the winter- but it died, in the house... Maybe I will try again this year.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
It's more difficult for me to STOP rosemary more then it is to start it!!! :)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here are what the starts look like as of today:

DSC00656_zpsbbd7ee66.jpg

As you can see, not all of them developed roots. There's one near the center that isn't dead but it has grown almost no roots.

They have only been in direct sunlight for the last few days. In the backyard "sweet spot" for hardening things off. They were up on the greenhouse bench in the more sunless location for a couple of weeks. Prior to that, the cuttings spent at least a month on the greenhouse floor in complete shade.

Now that they have roots, I'm not concerned about the sunshine. The little rosemary cuttings will soon fill their new 4" pots and be ready for larger!

Steve

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Steve, you are the rosemary expert here! I have a rosemary bush that I bought as a small plant in a 4" pot. Thanks for your pics and posting, now I know how to propagate them!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Steve, you are the man when it comes to cuttings!

:)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
But, it is pretty much only experience with rosemary.

You see, when half the plants die in the basement thru a winter, you try to get serious about producing some more and having them survive. That seriousness allows one to focus.

So, looking at the new rosemary cuttings, it was obvious that they were not able to handle any sunlight. After a couple of weeks, putting them in the sun for a day dang near killed them! Try it again in another week . . . They needed more time but finally grew some roots.

That winter, the rosemary went on the floor of the greenhouse instead of the basement. In the unheated greenhouse, they were covered on the coldest days and nights but when things began to warm up a little - they took off growing!

Not only did I get the cuttings started that 1st year but managed to keep all the rosemary alive thru the winter! Double success! Now, after about 4 years of doing this, some limit had better be placed on the rosemary production line.

I don't know why it all wouldn't work for other plants. Maybe doing the cuttings would be okay in the fall where they can make some growth thru the winter. My thought was that it was just going to be too many months of cold here and, besides, I felt that they needed to be started that spring since my old way of doing things was killing half of them every winter!

Steve

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hey Major, just for grins, why don't you try rooting a couple cuttings using aspirin? (did you read the piece about aspirin having some of the same qualities as willow water for plant cuttings?)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Since Major' resurfaced under all the rain .

. . and because I can't answer his onion dehydration question :rolleyes: .

. . and because these are looking okay:
DSC00691_zps1b24923b.jpg

They have all made some top growth since starting their adventure as new plants - except for one. At the very back of the flat, that one died. The plants in the 1/2 gallon pots further back are last year's rosemary starts. Theses should also go into those larger pots by the end of the summer.

I suspect that if maintaining humidity and avoiding direct sun are important concerns, Major' has had some conditions on his side over the last several weeks. Of course, there is the potential for mildew.

Steve

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have started it from seed before and mine had very low germination. Out of a whole packet of seed, I only got two to sprout.