STARTING SEEDS!?

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I just stick them on the fridge to germinate or on a rack ( I have little bakers racks ) and walk away. I start checking in about 5-8 days to see how they are going. When they have sprouted, I more them to a southern window or add a grow light.

grow light = cheap $5 metal bell light holder from home depot's electrically equipment section and 100 watt bulb.

I don't put in any effort beyond that and everyone does great!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've never used the phases of the moon as a guide.

How would that work?

If you decide that one month is too early -- does that mean you wait 28 days for another moon phase??

Obsessed, those Thai Hot will be the tiniest of your plants. They are the Chihuahua of the pepper world and can use all sorts of pampering and an early start.

Steve

boggybranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Just got finished planting the beets and brocolli seeds in their little toilet roll pots. Just had to check that kinda pot out.....Lord knows, I got a slew of them to use, if it works.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
boggy, are you starting those indoors?? I would think you could get those right in the ground? I direct seed both those as soon as I can work the soil....Still jealous of your warm weather!!!

boggybranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
lesa said:
boggy, are you starting those indoors?? I would think you could get those right in the ground? I direct seed both those as soon as I can work the soil....Still jealous of your warm weather!!!
Yea lesa, Gonna start them, indoors. This is my first time planting both and the weather has been so unpredictable, for our area....just gonna be "on the safe side". First of last week they predicted (10 day forcast) highs in the upper 50's to upper 60's and lows in the upper 40's. Three days later....highes in upper 40's to mid 50's and lows in the 20's. Reckon their prediction is determined by where the dart sticks.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I hear you- it seems they are wrong as much as they are right!! You should be able to get them outside fast, with those temps. Enjoy!

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thanks Steve. I knew they were going to be sensitive. I have all the pepppers in my biodome and all the other peppers are going GREAT! nice strong stems, true leaves =have already developed. But the Thai..... are just barely germinating.... I planted them all at the same time. Any way........

I started some squash and cukes. I did a green apple and a chinnes lemon cuke from Bakers Creek. And a Woods Prolific patty squash from SSE. I buky some floating row covers for the squash because I had a horible time with the vine borer last year!

Ladyhawke1

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Could someone make another posting of their experiences and ideas on the uses of row covers? I am interested. :/

I know there are some people here that have real lives. They have to work and do the garden too. However, if I can put a little more effort into the garden to keep the bugs off my veggies without using some horrible spray stuff..... then I am open to the use of covers. :bow Pictures would be nice. :p

silkiechicken

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Starting seeds early is addictive... so much so, this year I upgraded and put together a pair of grow shelves. 100 bucks for the shelves, 10 per light fixture, and 40 for a 10 pack of T8 grow lights. Wide spectrum or cool white seems to be just right to get most plants off to a good start. I like to put a fan on them for an hour a day when they are on their second set of true leaves to strengthen their stems. Not too bad compared to commercial stuff and works just fine!

Since I'm cheap, I just use plastic cups and potting soil. Plop in two seeds per cup and use cardboard boxes from costco for trays.

I saran the tops of the boxes till I see the first sprouts, place under grow lamps on a 16 hr timer operated lighting cycle and use a spray bottle to water till the first set of true leaves emerge from all cells. Divide up doubles and grow anywhere from 4-12 weeks or so inside prior to driving them home to washington to plant.

230_img_2097.jpg

This is what the condo's balcony looked like last summer. Everything was started on the grow lamps and was a tiny piece of what I had at home.

230_aug_balcony_copy.jpg

This is the spring forget-me-nots and pansies that are going up this weekend for some early color. They are still a few weeks from setting up flowers though since I didn't start chilling them till last week, and they need about 4-6 weeks of cool.
230_plants.jpg

Good luck with the indoor seed starting! It will suck you in and before you know it, you'll be in a jungle!

Latest posts