STARTING SEEDS!?

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm using a clothes hanging rack to hang my shop light. They are adjustable too, and on wheels! It's easy to position over my table. :cool:

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
I wonder how well those old seeds sprouted. the tomato and cantaloupe seeds especially. I have some getting that age. and pepper seeds too.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm a little later this year - than in 2010.

The very first pepper and snapdragon seed went in the soil mix -- yesterday! This was planned that way. I'm not sure about 2010 but I imagine that it was too early and sure was the last 2 years what with our lingering spring. Funny how the weather changed so much . . .

Some of the pepper seed was a little old. There were 6 varieties. I can get in trouble with seed from 6 different packets in the same cookie box of soil. If i have to move them off the warm fridge-top to a cool south window because 1 variety is stretching and others haven't emerged . . . that's the problem. Why would I have a cool south window? Just depends on the weather. The low-light top of the fridge is always above 70F, day and night.

Steve

barefootgardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I cant go to crazy with seeds..Hubby and I are moving off our 120 acre farm (lived here 33 years) and living closer to the city on 1 1/3 acres..A big change for us.. .I am dismantling my recycled greenhouse we built a few years ago, and takig it with us. I started some herbs a couple weeks ago. Sweet Basil, Lemon Grass, Parsley, Fennel .Also Artichokes, Nasturium and Calendula.

I usually have close to 50 to 80+ different heirloom tomato varieties planted by now (Feb.) ..Since we are moving soon, and it gets harder to grow ,keep track, and save seed for so many, I am only planting about 12 varieties. I will start seed tomorrow.

Giny

April Manier

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Overwatering is a danger. If they are inside the heat is probably right for most seeds. Of course if you are like us your house gets cold this time of year as we are al tired of tending fores and we can get away with just sweats and sweaters...;)

I think most folks over-fuss about their seeds and kill them. Remember God made them to fall to the ground and come up next year. Your starting tray is manageable and I send you success! I think your journey will be a fun one.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
barefootgardener said:
I cant go to crazy with seeds..Hubby and I are moving off our 120 acre farm (lived here 33 years) and living closer to the city on 1 1/3 acres..A big change for us.. .I am dismantling my recycled greenhouse we built a few years ago, and takig it with us. I started some herbs a couple weeks ago. Sweet Basil, Lemon Grass, Parsley, Fennel .Also Artichokes, Nasturium and Calendula.

I usually have close to 50 to 80+ different heirloom tomato varieties planted by now (Feb.) ..Since we are moving soon, and it gets harder to grow ,keep track, and save seed for so many, I am only planting about 12 varieties. I will start seed tomorrow.

Giny
Barefootgardener, would you be selling any of your excess tomato seeds? i'm interested in some that you were mentioning on the other tomato threads.

barefootgardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Chickie'sMomaInNH said:
barefootgardener said:

Giny
Barefootgardener, would you be selling any of your excess tomato seeds? i'm interested in some that you were mentioning on the other tomato threads.
Hi,
No sry, I dont sell my seeds..But I do share when I have enough of a variety (s) to share..Sometimes for a SASE if i send out a lot...Or I will mail out to a few people ..I dont have enough seed to share for a lot of the tomatoes mentioned beacuse I already sent out a lot to some people on another garden/tomato forum I am part of..But I do have extra of some others like Fish lake Oxheart..I would love for you to try it, and be happy to share.. Send me a PM..Need your addy :)

Ginny

April Manier

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
digitS' said:
I've never used the phases of the moon as a guide.

How would that work?

If you decide that one month is too early -- does that mean you wait 28 days for another moon phase??

Obsessed, those Thai Hot will be the tiniest of your plants. They are the Chihuahua of the pepper world and can use all sorts of pampering and an early start.

Steve
Plant while moon is waxing. The earlier the better. My hubby farmed for 20 years and swears by it!

Latest posts