Starts for Transplants

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here is what we are up against right now
This is getting out of hand quicklyView attachment 39857View attachment 39858View attachment 39859View attachment 39860View attachment 39861View attachment 39862View attachment 39863View attachment 39864
we have flats of tomatoes on the top seed mat and peppers and marigolds on the bottom mat. DW has purchased the led grow lights and is already at max capacity with 6 lights. Also have flats of plants in our sunny south window which is full also. With my injured left leg and also right hand break I am not much help. I have got to get out to the greenhouse and figure out a heat source so we can start moving stuff outside pronto. DW has really bit off a huge job for herself this year, she thought that I would be more help for her but a haven’t even been given the ok from the dr. To start putting weight on my ankle yet. It seemed like such a great idea at first.
I have been looking at different ideas for lights and shelves. You gave me a few ideas. Amazing what you and DW have growing!!!

BeanWonderin

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I’m probably a bit later than most, but we still have snow on the ground so that's ok (I keep telling myself).

I have three kinds of hot peppers, five kinds of tomato, some tomatillos, and a bunch of potatoes started from seed.

4DF7A5CD-5434-484F-A453-25A153AE682F.jpeg

187520A5-5F4E-439C-BDC8-B299EA94D7EB.jpeg

F3B6D2B4-AFF2-46C6-AF1B-DDA392D6ADDF.jpeg

And some sorrel I started in a tray thinking I would just grow it indoors before I realized how big it gets.

A7D4612F-F96B-439D-B6C7-1DF00BD13848.jpeg

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I’m probably a bit later than most, but we still have snow on the ground so that's ok (I keep telling myself).

I have three kinds of hot peppers, five kinds of tomato, some tomatillos, and a bunch of potatoes started from seed. I am just starting my tomatoes. I have a bad habit of letting my excitement cause me to start my tomatoes too soon. But peppers and eggplant are way overgrown already. But for me to Get a good crop I must have a mature plant.

View attachment 39923
View attachment 39926
View attachment 39925

And some sorrel I started in a tray thinking I would just grow it indoors before I realized how big it gets.

View attachment 39927

I have three kinds of hot peppers, five kinds of tomato, some tomatillos, and a bunch of potatoes started from seed.

View attachment 39923
View attachment 39926
View attachment 39925

View attachment 39927

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am just starting my tomatoes. I have a bad habit of letting my excitement cause me to start my tomatoes too soon. But peppers and eggplant are way overgrown already. But for me to Get a good crop I must have a mature plant. My new seed starting cart is so fantastic that they will grow in no time.

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have been looking at different ideas for lights and shelves. You gave me a few ideas. Amazing what you and DW have growing!!!
We have 6 of the 4’ led. 4 of them are full spectrum light , and 2 are clear grow lights. We do not see any difference between the two as far as plant growth. The seed starting cart has T-8 lights that work just fine for seed starting , so no change there.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Collector, I started scrolling the pictures from the bottom and kept saying who in the world is growing these gorgeous starts in a beautiful setup? It was you!

You've given me the idea to double the lights on the tray. I currently have 2 shelves with a light on each. I'm going to play around with my tray placements and see if I can get everything on 1 shelf. That would be great and so much easier if I could. I'm having a lot of issues with my setup. I've threatened my husband that next year I'm going to spend $700 on an already built one, haha.

Mary

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am just starting my tomatoes. I have a bad habit of letting my excitement cause me to start my tomatoes too soon. But peppers and eggplant are way overgrown already. But for me to Get a good crop I must have a mature plant. My new seed starting cart is so fantastic that they will grow in no time.
Seed starting cart? Do you have pictures?

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
We have 6 of the 4’ led. 4 of them are full spectrum light , and 2 are clear grow lights. We do not see any difference between the two as far as plant growth. The seed starting cart has T-8 lights that work just fine for seed starting , so no change there.
Which one of your pictures is a seed starting cart? catjac1975 is talking about a seed starting cart too.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
Evelyn came yesterday and I showed her my Morning Glory seedlings that are already up. I told her she is going to learn to plant flowers today and I gave her a pot and she put seed starter in and I put the Morning Glory seeds in my hand and told her to put in the dirt and she would choose really careful which seed she wanted and drop it in just the right spot in the dirt lol, and then I had her put dirt on top and she kind of pressed it all down like she knew what she was doing, I did not show her and we watered the pot and put in the greenhouse inside and I closed the plastic and said they have to stay warm in there. Later DD came and I said to her, tell Mommy what you planted and she started jabbering at her and I had showed her a video of Morning Glories in a sped up video opening op and so she was trying to tell her, and got DD by the hand and took her to the greenhouse and DD was OH, you planted something and she showed her which pot and after DD made a fuss and was walking away, I saw Evelyn shut the plastic just like I did and kind of pushed it down to make sure it was closed good. She is 2-1/2.

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Gardening with Rabbits
image.jpg

This is the cart we have now it came from Costco and sold as a wardrobe cart. It has castors and a shelf on top where we stack flats and cell packs and whatever else we use. It is not perfect but it is way better than the homemade one that we used to use. It came with the hooks on the side where you can see the most complicated wiring mess on earth lol we are also able to roll it out to a storage room when not in use. I think we paid $75.00 for it on sale a few years ago and don’t plan on upgrading anymore than this. This setup is not nearly like what @catjac1975 is getting , the one she is getting is made for seed starting and is a lot more user friendly than this one.

Latest posts