Storm and flood!

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
We had that same storm. Tornados touched down in the town of Van, 9 miles from us. 26 injured and 10 missing, the last we heard. We stayed up till midnight watching live news weather to see if we needed to huddle in the hall bathroom. Finally turned TV off and went to bed. KA-BOOM!!! Jolted us out of bed. Lightening struck real close. Got our TV. Waiting on repairman this morning.

Our DD got water in house on bottom floor and no power. They sopped it up with towels. Many people with no power. 3" hail reported south of Dallas. We were blessed that TV was only damage. It was a scary night.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Almost all creeks were out of banks. In our DD's neighborhood, there are 3 lakes, have to cross a spillway to get to her house. It was closed, water was too deep and swift. Had to go back up to front gate and take long way around. Lakes were over bulkheads. Boat houses were flooded, piers and decks under water. Some had water in houses.

My sister lives on San Jacinto river in Conroe. Ad water drains, river level rises and she faces a flooded house possibility in coming days.

Tons of fun around here, huh.

flowerweaver

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@baymule , I had no idea you were that close to Van! So glad you and yours were OK. We are fairly saturated, with more rain forecast for the next ten days, so we are still under a flash flood watch. Probably he same for you. I hope you have a shelter nearby, as I worry about you in a manufactured home after experiencing what a tornado can do to a masonry house.

Fortunately it didn't rain too much north of us, so all that water in our creek went on down river. Like at your sister's place, when the river rises here our creek backs up and that's when it gets really scary. Fortunately our house has never flooded, and having already lived through two 500 year floods I know it's going to take a lot more than a 25 inch rain to get us. Yesterday's flood was small potatoes by comparison.

@marshallsmyth I was relieved to see the bean cages were still upright and there was no apparent damage to the field. The corn has already righted itself.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
No storm shelter. This was a doublewide on 8 acres, nothing else. Been working on more fence. So thick with briars, brush and trees, couldn't stick my arm through it. Got it cleared, chainsawed, box bladed, set corner H braces and T-posts. Have horse wire rolled out, ready to stretch.

At some point I want to build a root cellar, which could double as a storm shelter. Ain't nobody in here but us 'taters!

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Update on tornados that struck 9 miles from us. An elderly couple was killed, the missing were found and treated for injuries. Lots of damage.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
We basically live in Tornado alley. Starting now until fall most any storm can spawn one. Scary stuff.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
YAY! More rain! It has rained every day or night for weeks. Except for yesterday, it was sunny and beautiful all day. Our area is under flash flood watch. At 600' we are high and dry.

Latest posts