Strawberries

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Roundup ready. GMO.
I know you believe in all of the things that the ag companies tell you. They are finding roundup in our food supply. Yes, maybe the farmers use it wrong.The escalation of cancer from the very young on up should give everyone a pause for worry. Poison in our air, water and food supply.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Actually don’t. Do I approve of all the chemicals, NO? I understand the worries about the unknown. I get the distrust of companies. I also distrust the organic movement-as I know their lies.

Cancer has always been a problem. As people, as we live longer, more cancer will be detected. Poisons in air, water and soil is a definite concern for all of us.

Good news is there are no GMO vegetables-unless you classify sweet corn as a vegetable. Why anyone would spray glysophate on dirt shows total lack of understanding of that chemistry.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
My friend's uncle is a strawberry grower both conventional and organic. He told me he plants new plants every year and fertilizes every 6 weeks. That sounds kind of high maintenance to me.

Mary

I wonder how old the plants are he buys. I have bought everbearing 1 year old that will produce the year I plant and get strawberries, but the next year seems to be the big year for me, but probably your friend's uncle has the ground all ready and planting at the perfect time of the year to get his crop, but sure would fix the weed problem. LOL

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Actually don’t. Do I approve of all the chemicals, NO? I understand the worries about the unknown. I get the distrust of companies. I also distrust the organic movement-as I know their lies.

Cancer has always been a problem. As people, as we live longer, more cancer will be detected. Poisons in air, water and soil is a definite concern for all of us.

Good news is there are no GMO vegetables-unless you classify sweet corn as a vegetable. Why anyone would spray glysophate on dirt shows total lack of understanding of that chemistry.
Sorry-not yelling . Too lazy to retype.THERE ARE MORE GMO APPROVED FRUITS AND VEGETABLES THE LAST 2 YEARS.. I WORRY MORE ABOUT pesticides, fungicides and herbicides.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I wonder how old the plants are he buys. I have bought everbearing 1 year old that will produce the year I plant and get strawberries, but the next year seems to be the big year for me, but probably your friend's uncle has the ground all ready and planting at the perfect time of the year to get his crop, but sure would fix the weed problem. LOL
I remember he said he gets his plants in November. There aren't any for sale at nurseries for us at that time of the year. But I'm sure being a grower he has his sources or greenhouses.

Mary

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sorry-not yelling . Too lazy to retype.THERE ARE MORE GMO APPROVED FRUITS AND VEGETABLES THE LAST 2 YEARS.. I WORRY MORE ABOUT pesticides, fungicides and herbicides.
Not saying you are wrong, what GMO vegetables or fruit are out there? I know of none. Let me know please.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Not saying you are wrong, what GMO vegetables or fruit are out there? I know of none. Let me know please.
Just google it. They approved apples last year that do not turn brown when cut. They had already been selling them for a couple of years. The little yellow summer squash that the grocery store sells, all exactly the same size, GMO. I read a list of about 40 new things last year.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
https://scholarworks.iupui.edu/bitstream/handle/1805/813/GE plant virus resistance.pdf

Is this the GMO people are worried about? They use insects to infect seed stock with virus. Plant develops an immunity to virus. They then use it in conventional breeding. What is difference between an heirloom that is selected because it has developed immunity to a disease or insect? Now adding genes from another species, I get that.

On non browning apples, the breeders selected against 4 genes that cause browning. They did a gene mapping so they did use science. Nothing added in terms of genes. Would people feel better if it took decades instead of years to do it?

Last edited:

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
On strawberries, please explain to me why they will spread into lawn and survive. Let grass get into strawberry bed, end of strawberries. What gives?

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
On strawberries, please explain to me why they will spread into lawn and survive. Let grass get into strawberry bed, end of strawberries. What gives?

http://time.com/3840073/gmo-food-charts/

Latest posts