Strawberries

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
You do see the difference between using science to breed (which the attached articles are calling GMO) vs soybeans/corn/cotton where genes are being inserted? I do. No problem if others don’t.

I don’t want genes from animals inserted into my plants. Now if they use science to breed out genes causing intestinal problems with peppers, I’m good.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
i don't have a problem with natural cross-breeding of plants and then selecting from results. that's been going on for thousands of years.

i don't like the combinations/injections of partial fragments of genes from animals into plants or vice versa because we don't really know if those will start allergic reactions or other issues.

bacteria/fungi/viruses/phages/etc move stuff around all the time and it is a part of the world of life we live in yet in the end some things that happen are good and interesting and other things are bad.

i'm a firm believer in basic science and understanding.

i do not support the use of poisons of any kind - we don't really know of any other places in the universe that will support life.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score

i don't like the combinations/injections of partial fragments of genes from animals into plants or vice versa because we don't really know if those will start allergic reactions or other issues..
With you there.

Little recognized fact, everyone who eats strawberries, dies.

Worst job in world is picking strawberries in heat of day-not talking about a hand full but picking a bed.....hated it.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
With you there.

Little recognized fact, everyone who eats strawberries, dies.

Worst job in world is picking strawberries in heat of day-not talking about a hand full but picking a bed.....hated it.

well, er, yeah, we all got an expiration date stuck on us - what we do with what time we've got between hatching and TheEnd is what counts. i try to enjoy as much as i can and ignore the petty stuff all around me - i really don't understand people who dwell on negative things - why waste all that energy/time? ah, well...

i am ok with it because i know what heaven it turns into when i make freezer jam or smush 'em for shortcakes. i had to water them the other day as they were looking so dried out (at last). i weeded and then gave the bed a day for all the weed leaves i scattered around to dry out in the sun.

the only problem i have with picking strawberries is if i forget to wear long sleeves and get my arms itchy from the edges of the leaves or whatever it is that nicks 'em.

at one time i had four strawberry patches (two of them fairly big and the others just getting going). now i have one inside the fenced area only and another that has some plants, but it doesn't often have much to pick because it is unfenced and in very poor soil - they're not very large. from the bigger patches i could get dozens of quarts each time i picked and had enough to have other people come pick once i'd gotten enough for us. now i'm just getting back into production on the small patch inside the fenced area and i'm hoping to have enough berries for more jam so i can give more away. it's the best gift from the garden because in the middle of winter it has the color and flavor of spring/summer yummyness. :)

Mom doesn't really like strawberries because for years here she grew them and my ex-step-dad loved to eat them, but he hardly ever helped her in any way so he was a big leech - eventually she got tired of it and took them all out. when i moved in here with her she kept turning up her nose every time i mentioned growing strawberries, but i didn't figure out why for a few years and was able to eventually talk her into letting me grow them. her objections were about the work and the bugs. i told her i'd do the work and i keep the fruits picked so i rarely see any of the bugs. and she gets to eat all she wants.

in comparison to the strawberries she buys in the middle of winter there's really no comparison between the flavor. a fresh picked ripe strawberry is heaven on earth and proof that Mother Nature does love us (like some say of beer :) ).

what you need is minions @seedcorn... :)

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Like your mom, even minions don’t solve my mental problems....

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
You do see the difference between using science to breed (which the attached articles are calling GMO) vs soybeans/corn/cotton where genes are being inserted? I do. No problem if others don’t.

I don’t want genes from animals inserted into my plants. Now if they use science to breed out genes causing intestinal problems with peppers, I’m good.
One of the worst things I have read about is a human gene being added to pigs. And then we eat it. Humans gave up cannibalism a thousand years ago.

Latest posts