Strawberry 2022

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Yes, I would like to discuss strawberries.

First, how do you plant strawberries? Are containers more suitable than raised beds or on the ground? I mean, after all, you have to clean them up. I guess it will be difficult when they are directly planted on the ground?

Last autumn, I cleaned all the strawberry plants in one raised bed, divided some larger crowns, and repotted them. Then I got 30+ new plants now. As the root systems are well developed, these new plants are going to some containers first.
13603.jpg

13604.jpg

It will be easier for me to manage and control their wild growth when planted at a certain height.
2771_1.jpg

Today, I cleaned another raised bed and dug out all strawberry plants again, small and big, young and old. I guess there are another 100 plants. :lol:

13595.jpg

We preserve a small area as a wildlife garden, where we don't mow and seldom interfere. Maybe it will be a good idea to replant them there (and eventually, they will take over that area and become a strawberry lawn?)?

Or maybe I will plant some in the vertical planter.

Last edited:

meadow

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
How deep are your new planters? I like the way you've placed them at a convenient height.

My past efforts to grow strawberries in containers have been less than stellar. I think you have a good chance at success with the way you have them setup.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
i plant in a whole area and try to keep it weed free. by the 3rd year the garden is ready for refreshing so i dig out a deep hole and bury anything that needs to rot. up top i replant using younger crowns and start all over again. always need to add more organic materials which i may not have much of. pine needles, leaves, etc.

in places where it freezes and thaws you need to have plants well established before winter and/or also mulch them lightly or they'll get lifted right out of the ground.

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
How deep are your new planters? I like the way you've placed them at a convenient height.

My past efforts to grow strawberries in containers have been less than stellar. I think you have a good chance at success with the way you have them setup.
The container is about 10cm(depth).
I feel it's pretty challenging to manage strawberries when they are growing on the ground. In the raised bed, better, but the height of a pallet is the most comfortable and convenient - also for the Chamomiles, easier to harvest, too.

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
A medium-size cluster of crown
13732.jpg

After cleaning up - strawberries are tough - the earlier batch is also trimmed and cleaned up like these, and they re-grow very quickly.
13734.jpg

Another huge one
13735.jpg

13736.jpg

Maybe, not everyone will survive, but I have more than enough now.
13737.jpg

There are now more than 100 new plants. :lol:
2860.jpg

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
A medium-size cluster of crown
View attachment 48235
After cleaning up - strawberries are tough - the earlier batch is also trimmed and cleaned up like these, and they re-grow very quickly.
View attachment 48236
Another huge one
View attachment 48237
View attachment 48238

Maybe, not everyone will survive, but I have more than enough now.
View attachment 48239
There are now more than 100 new plants. :lol:
View attachment 48240

yes, that's what i'd do to them too. :) they can take over quickly.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Now I want to cleanup my strawberries too! I wonder if it is too late for my area? 🤔 I may not have the physical ability to do it quickly enough for this season.

it never hurts to reduce competition (weeds or crowding) or to spread a little more goodies on them and give them some water.

if you can just sit there and feel around you might notice that some plants have very long crowns while the plant right next to them crowding in might have a newer crown. so to remove the older crown will let the newer one give you more fruit than what the older crown may have provided. spot weed, spot thin, best done before they really get growing and flowering. once they do get growing then some worm tea watered on them and then a bit more water to rinse them off and to get it in the soil and down to the roots. :)

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Agreed, thinning can be done partially and will be helpful. Every time I clean up the strawberry beds, I am always impressed by how many plants are crammed inside. :p

I planted some herbs yesterday after adding new soil and some fertilizer. The strawberries will move to somewhere else.

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
What I have divided in the winter - they all developed quite robust new roots.

I put these two bigger clusters in a bigger pots today and removed to the hoop tunnel area.

P_20220418_194555.jpg

Latest posts