Strawberry 2022

meadow

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'm so glad you started this thread!

We removed strawberries from an area that had been overrun with grass. Cleaned them up and put them into an upcycled feed trough planter. We're working as weather permits, but I'm thrilled to be getting it cleaned up. Thank you for the inspiration!

Artichoke Lover

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
How early is too early to transplant strawberries? My patch is over crowded and I want to transplant and lay down weed fabric in between the rows but I won’t have time after August and neither will the friend who has offered to help. Normally I wouldn’t transplant them until around October but it’s looking like I might have to do it sometime in July and I’m wondering if I’ll be risking killing the plants if I do.

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
How early is too early to transplant strawberries? My patch is over crowded and I want to transplant and lay down weed fabric in between the rows but I won’t have time after August and neither will the friend who has offered to help. Normally I wouldn’t transplant them until around October but it’s looking like I might have to do it sometime in July and I’m wondering if I’ll be risking killing the plants if I do.
Strawberries are tough worriers - as long as you give them sufficient time to re-develop their roots in a mild and friendly location, they should be good again in a few weeks.

The way I treat my strawberries is, in fact, quite rude. I just dug them out, removed old/dead/sick leaves, then trimmed the roots much shorter and soaked the roots in the water overnight. The next day, I planted them in nursery pots (according to how big they are, I have 5cm/7cm/9cm pots.) and let them rest in the location without direct sunlight.

After two weeks, if they look totally okay, they can be placed again under direct sunlight. From time to time, you can check the root development. For example, this is a pretty young plant I divided early this year. I believe it is ready to be transplanted again.

14046.jpg

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score

as soon as the ground is able to be worked and you're not playing in mud. it is probably much better to do things in the early spring than in the late fall (from my own experience with frost heaving). mid-summer the plants may go somewhat dormant in the heat so it may be a challenge to get that done, but if you keep them watered and they are mulched i think they'd be ok. like @Phaedra Geiermann says, they're pretty hardy.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I wasn't able to do any more cleanup in the old bed except for weeding, but those first ones are looking great! Looking forward to giving it a good overhaul this Fall.

at least in WW you won't have as much issues with frost heaving so later cleanup or renovation should be more ok than it would work out for here. :)

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I don't know if this article will help, but I started thinking about how we often get our strawberries. They are most often grown in the State of Florida, which is sub tropical to tropical. Don't think that they are That easy.
SO...I looked up an article about steps to do HERE, where we are temperate.
I'm pretty sure that you live in a temperate zone, too.
Here, you go! Hope this Helps! :hugs