1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official TEG Poll: What is your garden style?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. This member need landscaping ideas - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. TEG Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

stubbed toes and mud pies

Discussion in 'About Me & My Garden' started by flowerbug, Nov 16, 2017.

1. Apr 10, 2019
    flowerbug

flowerbug Garden Addicted

noice! yesterday i had an item on my list to take care of which meant calling the ISP to make sure the CC info was up-to-date and to also see about the antenna situation since my connection has been iffy at times lately.

the guy who answered the phone switched me over to someone else who said his secretary was out that day. it happened to be the owner. it was also the same guy who came out here and put the connection box on the antenna on the roof so he knew what i was talking about as he'd remembered.

he said no problem with coming out to fix it if there was a continuing issue, but i told him that it was ok for now and that i'd likely not need anything done until we get the chimney issue taken care of.

this also gave me a chance to talk to him about the proposed fiber optic cable that they are exploring along our neighborhood. i said i was somewhat interested but that i could not afford a huge installation fee or much more than i'm currently paying (which is good enough for what i am getting)... he said they were still evaluating and it would depend upon how many people wanted it - so i had him add my name to the list of possible connections for that.

working outside for a few days has helped me burn off my frustrations with the other stuff so i'm in the "Do Not Care Zone" as people wish to keep me out of the loop.

"Serenity Now!" <-- (Seinfeld Joke)...

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
  2. Apr 14, 2019
    flowerbug

the little spiders in the worm bins are still alive. i tried to move enough of them from one worm bucket to another so they can capture the fungus gnats. i wasn't sure at first that any of them had survived but now i see a few moving around in there. now i'm just curious if i managed to get both male and female little spiders because i hope they'll make a lot of babies soon.

the funny thing is that the fungus gnats are about the same size or a little bigger than the spiders. when they are crawling around the spiders pull back from them when they meet. i guess they need for them to get tangled in the web... i don't know if this will work or not, but since the spiders are still alive they must be eating something... :)

3. Apr 14, 2019
    flowerbug

yesterday was nice enough to get out for a while. i didn't want to get into any big projects so i finally finished up one of my old projects. years ago i had piled up some dirt with grass roots in it thinking i was going to go through it all and then i got side-tracked and never got back to it. there were also some holes that needed filling in so you could walk without twisting your ankle back there. with all the rain in the forecast i figured it would be a good time to knock that hill of dirt back down and get it at least a bit more level back there. also did a little raking and weeding while i was out there. then the wind turned too cold and i'd had enough.

4. Apr 16, 2019 at 1:42 PM
    flowerbug

regained a lot of shelf space by paring down the bean collection:

Before:

[​IMG]

After:

[​IMG]

i still have way too many brown beans but i wanted to get ready for spring planting so the next round of that will have to wait until next winter.

i should be able to fit these on one shelf. :)

there is a lot of duplication left too because i wanted the first selection for planting and then a 2nd selection (or even more) for a backup in case the first selection didn't succeed.

i also have a bunch of those small containers which have multiple selections of beans in them as a blend in case in the future i decided i needed to grow those out again after all. i may not do anything with them at all, but just in case... hard to get rid of all my babies! yet i did send about 5lbs of beans to the pile that will be fed to the worm bins eventually and i also have quite a few containers now set aside and ready to go to the next seed swap. along with a large container full of mixed beans for cooking up and eatin'.

as an experiment one day i cooked up a handful of four different kinds i'd not cooked up before to see what they tasted like. good. :) there's few beans i've had that i don't like... then after those were done i made a small pot of yellow eye beans because we'd been eating a lot of dark beans so it was good to have some milder beans for a change.