stubbed toes and mud pies

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Beautiful pics Flowerbug. Is that your garlic drying?

yes, just after i lifted it i trimmed the roots off and then peeled off the outer layer of tunic on the bulb so that removed all the dirt without me having to rinse it off at all. then i stuck it in the bucket upside down so that it would get plenty of air flow. it looks a bit darker now in color after it has dried down some more. i did have a few bulbs that had started cracking their tunics (when they get towards the end of finishing up they can do this so it is better to harvest them a bit before they start cracking but you just use those bulbs first).

if you get garlic wet and into the bulb somehow hang them upside down if needed so the water can come out.

I made the mistake of not reading on how to harvest garlic. I hosed off the dirt and left it in the sun for a few days to dry. Well it started getting moldy and soft. I was able to save half of it.

awww! sorry you lost that much of it! also i do not leave it out in the sun for very long. it's just during lifting and cleaning it up that it is in the sun, then i bring it in the garage to cure for a while. when the stems are fully dried back to the bulbs i'll trim those back and put the garlic into longer term storage (i wrap it in towels and that keeps it both in the dark and dry enough) which is inside. outside is too hot and then too cold.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
it was a good day to run errands and do some shopping with Mom, but first was brunch at our favorite chinese food place. we split an order of moo shu chicken and had an egg roll each. Mom asked if i wanted anything to bring home but with all the stops we were going to be making i didn't really want that in the car that long. even with ice-packs and cool bags i didn't really trust it. nice day out, got things done and home safe. every time i come up the driveway i think "Home sweet home." :)

Dahlia

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Now THAT is one I hadn't thought of. Do Jr. Mints go well with potato? I love Jr. Mints. Haven't had them in years, but I can almost taste them right now just by thinking of them.
I found a wonderful chocolate bar that tastes just like mint n chip ice cream! It is organic and the brand is alter eco (truffle thins) mint cream

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
There are some foods that never go out of style, and a loaded baked potato is definitely one of them!

we just had them a few days ago and i'm still laughing at my previous comment about the Jr. Mints, because we had some bacon, sour cream and spinach dip which had to be used up and it was a lot... there was a potato and a half in my bowl, but it was buried under the toppings along with some hot sauce. no Jr. Mints were harmed that day...

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
today i cut up a watermelon and had the rinds along with all the other food scraps to feed to the worm buckets. so that is now done and i can take a short break before i get into something else. not sure what yet... :)

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
last night someone ran over our street address marker and took out some bricks and stones and almost made it all the way down to the stop sign. they left the road quite a ways previous to the driveway and where the marker was at so they were off the road for about 160ft.

we both slept through whoever and whenever it was.

i was able to bend the post for the marker so it stands back up but i have to go out later with a pair of pliers to unbend the sign itself since it is curled up a bit. the ditch has water in it so i'll have to pull the rocks and bricks back out with a cultivator.

it is hard to say if it was someone under the influence or someone trying to avoid hitting a deer... both of those things happen a lot around here.