stubbed toes and mud pies

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
did get finished what i'd hoped for so that is a nice feeling at last to be mostly caught up on weeding. just in time for the downpour. one particularly bad part was a low area that was full of purslane and spurge and it had been wet so much recently that the purslane was rotting at the crown and both weeds were covered in enough dirt splash that they were silver instead of green. but i didn't want to leave them there to drop all those seeds so i had to pick up all those pieces...

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
new washer and dryer unit delivery today. can't wait until this POC is out of here. will not be sad at all to see it go. doing our last load in it this morning and have had to beat on it, unplug it to reset it, etc. maybe this load will be done before the delivery truck gets here this afternoon...

reading and relaxing today. absolutely no gardening, not even one weed will i pull.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Twenty seconds …?

I dried clothes in the dryer this AM for the first time in months. Still put some things on the line under the deck roof. High of 68° and I would have them over the lawn at that temperature but it is RAINING! My pants and bathrobe aren’t likely to dry but they can come in and take less dryer time.

I had to bolt the cover over the dryer screen this year. Pulled it out one too many times. Finished, I showed DW. She said, “that dryer has been around for 40 years.” Actually, 30 might be right but I said that now it may be around another 40.

Steve :D

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Twenty seconds …?

to reset it took a bit longer without power for the capacitors to drain. i turned of the breakers for a few minutes.

it is now gone! YIPPEE! :) we'll have a party shortly. :)

nice delivery guys, gave them a short garden tour and they were happy to have some hot peppers, Beaver Dam seeds and Purple Dove bean seeds. :)

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
weeded and mowed yesterday. that was enough. nice day out there.

today i hope to do some more weeding and then will see what tomatoes need to be picked and canned. that too will also be enough. :)

Mom survived first load of laundry with new machine. only hiccup is that we need a ball to release stuff in the rinse cycle. it is quiet and it works. it will take us a while to adjust to this new regiment of not needing to time it and pound on it to get it to work or all the other BS just to get a load of laundry done. i may need a lie down just thinking about it... that may be my afternoon break... i can do some pillow cases and my pillows.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Twenty seconds …?

I dried clothes in the dryer this AM for the first time in months. Still put some things on the line under the deck roof. High of 68° and I would have them over the lawn at that temperature but it is RAINING! My pants and bathrobe aren’t likely to dry but they can come in and take less dryer time.

I had to bolt the cover over the dryer screen this year. Pulled it out one too many times. Finished, I showed DW. She said, “that dryer has been around for 40 years.” Actually, 30 might be right but I said that now it may be around another 40.

Steve :D
Your dryer has lasted 30 years? Wow what brand is it?

Mary

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Kenmore.

Nothing special when purchased. I always run it at permanent press and not high.

Keep in mind that I live in a semi-arid climate and hang clothes out on the line for several months during those years ;).

Steve

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Kenmore.

Nothing special when purchased. I always run it at permanent press and not high.

Keep in mind that I live in a semi-arid climate and hang clothes out on the line for several months during those years ;).

Steve
My mom used to swear by Kenmore. Said all their stuff lasted long. But maybe her opinion had to do with the fact that Sears always had a layaway plan that she used.

Mary

Dahlia

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
My mom used to swear by Kenmore. Said all their stuff lasted long. But maybe her opinion had to do with the fact that Sears always had a layaway plan that she used.

Mary
We had Kenmore washer and dryers and they were good quality. I think Maytags are better though and last longer. At least the old ones. Now they build a lot of garbage so who knows!

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
We had Kenmore washer and dryers and they were good quality. I think Maytags are better though and last longer. At least the old ones. Now they build a lot of garbage so who knows!

true, the examination of this new machine leads me to think that they are all probably built in the same place with the same parts. at least i could tell the two switches which control the dryer on/off and the washer door latch are the same kind as the ones on the machine we just got rid of. that 5 year warranty is likely going to get a workout... but i've mentioned a few things to Mom to help it last longer so it won't rust out as fast as the one we just replaced.

we'll see how it goes...

seven big improvements over the last unit:

- it works

- it doesn't chew and wad stuff up

- the controls are more intuitive

- it has a presoak

- it's quieter

- if it is unbalanced it doesn't knock the front of the washing machine off

- it's not the last unit we just got rid of...

Latest posts