stubbed toes and mud pies

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
???

You put tile on the interior walls ..

. of a shed? Is the gonna be one of those "garden office" sheds???

Steve

i've talked about moving in there... as a joke... :)

Whoa , you went all out on the shed. What are you going to store in it.?

at first it was going to return to being used as the garden shed for tools and whatever, but then after putting up all that tile and thinking about having to put shelves back in there i came up with the idea of putting all of Mom's quilting materials in there instead of continuing to have the pile of boxes in the garage. so now we have it stuffed almost full already of boxes of material. all the garden tools are now hanging on the side of the garage and it is much easier to get at everything this way. we took out a lot of stuff along the garage wall and put up hangers and a few more shelves. a truck load of old furniture went to the Salvation Army store. Mom wanted to clean the floor and empty a lot of shelves of things too so this was the first time since the house was built that we had the garage empty again. it looks so strange now... but very nice to be able to get to the tools and shelves without having to move other things out of the way. :)

the door to the shed needs some work on it to seal it up better to keep mice out, but at least now if mice do get in there there's nothing in there to eat, no gaps anywhere to exploit to get into the walls and no place for the bees to use either.

and yes, it was an all out effort because that was the last major gap in the defense after over 20yrs since they built the place and i've always wanted to get it fixed.

the tile, glue, grout and levelling cement were leftovers from my brother's warehouse he needed to get rid of and we'd had stacked in our garage since last year. i had the use of a small wet saw to cut the tile. nice toy. i wanted to cut a lot of rocks up... :) :) :)

all we had to put in for expenses were the screws, plywood and interior-exterior carpet. and time, gobs of time, that meant i didn't get much weeding done this spring as i'd have normally done. it was a a challenge to get the wood up with only me to do it and the hot sun in the morning for a few weeks meant i was baking in there. my brother said i was nuts to do the ceiling but the glue held (so far :) ). we'll see how it goes longer term...

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
That is exactly what i am planning for new garage. But will tile floor and leave ceiling sheet rock painted.

it would have been a lot easier to just paint the ceiling but the plywood was not that good and i had the tile so... just did it. would have saved me several days to have done something else.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
raining pretty heavy now.

house finch up above patio door singing like it's mating season...

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
forecast called for quarter to half inch of rain, rain gauge had 3.5 inches in it and it is in a very protected spot so likely we had something more like 4-5 inches. finally seems to be tapering off now.

i went out a while ago during a temporary lull to walk around and see how things were doing and spooked the deer in the neighboring corn field. the corn is already tall enough that they are almost completely hidden.

i think i may lose one of the gardens from this rain, the strawberry patch i redid last year i put down pretty low and there's no drain under it so the water may sit there for several days before soaking in. don't think the beans in there will like that... we'll see... i'll have a chance later this year to raise it up some more when i lower the neighboring garden which is up too far and too hard to deal with. the rest of the gardens are perched so should be ok.

all the waterworks i've done here over the years are working as they should (holding back what i can and getting the rest to run off in a controlled manner). the River Nile along the berm to the south is running full tilt. some time i need to get that reshaped and armored/stepped to keep it from eroding much more, but the current channel is not changing that fast (very hard clay). this is the first really heavy rain we've had to test that berm that we put in and it's not actually getting far up that so the whole setup is working out so far. if we had another two inches of rain i think it would be a real challenge (and like the incident before when we had water flowing "uphill" to go around the property because it was backed up at the corner and flowing over the road). not that i really want that to happen... heh...

i took pictures as i usually do of such events to document what is happening and in case i want to change something.

my current website page for water/drainage issues here that i've done (not including today's pictures):

http://www.anthive.com/project/water/

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have several of the red house finch at my feeder. It really threw me I never noticed them before. I thought cardinal only red bird here

we have cardinals too. love to hear them sing, they don't often come near the house but this past spring when i was working in the shed i had one that was in the nearby white pine tree singing along. i think it liked how the house made the song louder because of the echoes/shape of things. always glad to see them and hear them.

Latest posts