Stupid commercials

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Good idea, so lucky, but here in Wisconsin the cigarette 'sin' tax pays for a multitude of government programs including children's health issues. It makes smoking almost a citizen's duty if poor children are to be fed and given health care.

If the government were really serious about getting its citizens to stop smoking they would lose a huge supply of tax money. That's why only lip service is given to cessation programs, not real incentives.

aftermidnight

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Steve, I guess it's different for different people, the downfall for me was I did gain some weight but that didn't deter me. To quit smoking has to be a personal decision or it just won't work, no amount of put downs or nagging can make anyone do it, making them feel bad isn't the answer either.
It really is a very difficult thing to do, I know some people say hey it's not that hard, but for others especially if they deal with a lot of stress it's very, very, difficult. It took DH an Angioplasty to get him to stop, he had to have another Angioplasty 10 years after the first one, first one they just did the balloon thing, second time around two stents.

I was visiting a friend in hospital who had just had cerebral bypass surgery, she had quit smoking but not soon enough, the damage was done. She recovered from the surgery and was like a new woman, a year later she was back smoking, she died several years later from a heart related problem. I don't know what the woman in the next bed to her was in for but her surgeon totally frustrated I'm sure came in and told her she might as well go home, if she wasn't going to stop smoking he wasn't going to do the surgery. Addiction is such a terrible thing, I know if the information was out about smoking when I was a teenager I would have never started, I think even my brain would have been smart enough to heed the warning.

Annette

PennyJo

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
See my BF and I both quit but if you put that damn thing in my hand today
I know I would light it yes... I am no fool.. I started smoking when I was 12
or 13 but Mom did when she was pregnant with all three of us my Dad smoked
surprise all three of us have......
So Lucky you sound like a very disgruntled person I know about smoking me

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
DW didn't nag.

She cried ... She was fearful for those who smoked.

I couldn't lie by commission or omission - live as a fraud. Or, tell her that it wasn't any of her business. Or, that she could go to H**L. If she implied that I might be sneaking a cigarette (see previous post about backsliding :(), I needed to rise in righteous indignation and state honestly that I had NOT!

Did my fragile ego good to do that.

;) Steve

PennyJo

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I kinda bugged the BF a bit favorite you are going to do this with me right
well and see I have not been able to drive in 5 years now
so really could not sneak to get one. I know very well if I said right now I want one my BF
would drive for it....

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
PennyJo, how long has it been since you quit? It really does get easier, and most people ( including me) get to the point that the smell of cigarette smoke makes you nauseous, after you have been off them for a few years. No problem with wanting to light when that happens.

Yes, I guess I am disgruntled that people who can not afford it spend $25 a week or more to ruin their health. And like Red said, those cigarette tax increases are tied to "helping children" "education" "feeding the poor" and other noble causes that a person appears to be a curmudgeon if they vote against it.

So cigarette taxes continue to go up, and people on welfare and minimum wage jobs and disability continue to smoke even though they can't afford it.

PennyJo

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Oh well heck it has been almost two months since neither of us have had one
so we have a while to go to get to the nauseated stage.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm rooting for you, PennyJo! It's a good thing!

Ooh! Beautiful sky out there this morning! Beautiful day to come, never mind that the sky is red and the temperature is predicted to run to 100 degrees.

Wishing you all the beautiful fresh air you can handle, PennyJo.