Sunflowers

nealzeus

Sprout
Reaction score
Hey nice flowers. i want to know that what is the best time to plant sunflower?

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
They can be planted in very early spring. And then consecutively through july. Our earliest are those dropped by the birds. We just transplant them if they are in an inconvenient location.Of course it all depends on your zone.
nealzeus said:

nealzeus

Sprout
Reaction score
Thanks for your suggestion Catjac :) . It will be very helpful for me. I live in Orange County, U.S.A. , so please suggest me which time is suitable to plant sunflower in this location.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I would think that you can keep them growing consecutively.. Plant every 3-4 weeks and they should grow at all times. Im I correct that you don't have a freeze?
nealzeus said:
Thanks for your suggestion Catjac :) . It will be very helpful for me. I live in Orange County, U.S.A. , so please suggest me which time is suitable to plant sunflower in this location.

titansolarco

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Sunflower is one of the best flower and very useful products for us. It has contained a lot profit as oil and as known are a beautiful flower also. Sunflower is as who move towards wherever the sun moves.
California solar panels

desertlady

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Theres different variety sunflowers, Some have clusters of flowers on it, I just cut the deadheads and they keep producing more flowers. I dont have to replant seeds often, they seems to stay up for a long time! As for single sunflowers their stalks are very thick and huge leaves helps making shades for my chickens. I replanted them about 8 to 10 weeks to keep them going. Most of the were volunteers from last year sprouted all over ! (Birds planted them for me ! ) sometimes I have to transplant them and move them to a better location. Almost after the giant dies out in my garden, I trimmed off the dead leaves and used the stalk for my climbing beans and peas!, its pretty !!

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yep, I'd think some parts of Orange County California have very few freezes. I went to college near there at Whittier. You might get a January frost spell down there. So You could try a few sunflower seeds in the ground now, especially near the south side of a fence or wall. Might want to lay some plastic over the seedbed if you are having a cool spell down there, until they sprout. Even if you do have a frost spell you'll still get some nice plants, and some experience with your weather. Oh yes, if you are in a spot that gets those Santa Ana winds, make sure you have a corral for those sunflowers. At least 4 stakes deep in the ground, a good 6 feet up, and plenty of twine for them as they grow.

nealzeus

Sprout
Reaction score
catjac1975 said:
They can be planted in very early spring. And then consecutively through july. Our earliest are those dropped by the birds. We just transplant them if they are in an inconvenient location.Of course it all depends on your zone.
nealzeus said:

nealzeus

Sprout
Reaction score
catjac1975 said:
I would think that you can keep them growing consecutively.. Plant every 3-4 weeks and they should grow at all times. Im I correct that you don't have a freeze?
nealzeus said:
Thanks for your suggestion:) . you are correct I don't have much freezes in this area. So I guess the plants will grow at this time also.

Latest posts