Sunflowers

nealzeus

Sprout
Reaction score
marshallsmyth said:
Yep, I'd think some parts of Orange County California have very few freezes. I went to college near there at Whittier. You might get a January frost spell down there. So You could try a few sunflower seeds in the ground now, especially near the south side of a fence or wall. Might want to lay some plastic over the seedbed if you are having a cool spell down there, until they sprout. Even if you do have a frost spell you'll still get some nice plants, and some experience with your weather. Oh yes, if you are in a spot that gets those Santa Ana winds, make sure you have a corral for those sunflowers. At least 4 stakes deep in the ground, a good 6 feet up, and plenty of twine for them as they grow.
Thanks for your helpful advice. I will try doing it and if some issue occurs I will ask you definitely

annageckos

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I love sunflowers, I have a bunch of different varieties planting all over my yard. Everything from the huge mammoth ones, bright yellow, pale yellow, red, bi and tri-colored and 'fuzzy(or teddy) bears'. Last year I had a problem with deer eating my sunflowers. One the smaller types (ranging from 2-6ft) they would eat the flower heads, usually before they opened, or just as they were beginning to open. One the larger types they would eat the leaves. Is it possible a deer got to your sunflowers?

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wow! I didn't think deer would eat sunflowers.
annageckos said:
I love sunflowers, I have a bunch of different varieties planting all over my yard. Everything from the huge mammoth ones, bright yellow, pale yellow, red, bi and tri-colored and 'fuzzy(or teddy) bears'. Last year I had a problem with deer eating my sunflowers. One the smaller types (ranging from 2-6ft) they would eat the flower heads, usually before they opened, or just as they were beginning to open. One the larger types they would eat the leaves. Is it possible a deer got to your sunflowers?

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
When I planted a large wildflower garden, the deer ate all the sunflowers! Didn't have a one, when they were done...

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Deer seem to eat anything green, even poison oak...

Adambelmont321

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I grew sunflowers too, and i am so happy with them it is looking terribly amazing. :D

annageckos

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
sweetrabbit said:
That's too bad. Why not have tall fence to protect the garden?
Fencing isn't cheap, especially fence to keep deer out. Plus it doesn't look nice. For me it would be more of a pain then the deer are.

catherinebien

Sprout
Reaction score
I love sunflowers. Its a perfect decoration in our house during special occasion.