Sunflowers

rebbetzin

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Jewels19 said:
Can't wait to see those pics! Umm I'm going to be creative and have the kids help. When the rain is over, we'll head into the yard and dig the area out..Not sure what all I'll plant around the sunflowers tho' A few sites suggested the Morning glories between the sunflowers, so the vines will wrap, eventually closing it in like a "house" I just searched the Web, typed in "Sunflower house" and found quite a few sites, worth reading...
I tried to do a Sunflower house last year... here are some tips

Do NOT be over zealous in the amount of Morning Glory seed you plant, they get VERY heavy as they grow. If you make a "roof" using the Morning Glories vines, you will need to reinforce the Sunflower stalks and use those uprights as the support for the roof, do NOT use string for the vines to climb on for the roof!! They sag, and if the Sunflower stalks do not have added support they will bend and sag with the weight of the vines. Especially if it rains!!

If I ever did this idea again, I would use 2"X2" 12 ft pieces of wood, buried in the ground a foot or so, or very tall metal fence posts as a frame work.

As you can tell, my Sunflower house collapsed!!!

Latest posts