Sustainable Growing Project

Backyard Buddies

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I have no clue, J. I'll see if I can take a few pictures, assuming they sit still long enough for me to do so. These are wild parrots, so who knows what kind they are!

Here are some pictures that I took today of the garden and the dedication ceremony.

First, a tree was planted in memory of the priest for whom the garden is being dedicated. He was quite active in the community with youth and with causes for the earth, poverty, and homelessness. He loved figs, and this fig tree was from his home:

P1010748-1.jpg

Then, lots of folks planted marigolds, both to create a pretty border and because marigolds are a wonderful help in the garden.

P1010762-1.jpg

This is a picture of the veggie patch that is going in. So far, only the artichokes and tomatoes are in the ground. We're still working the soil in the rest of the garden.

P1010768.jpg

And, here is the orchard this morning. We still have more slots for trees, but you can see what we've done so far.

P1010766.jpg

Quite a difference from the weed patch that we started with!

Backyard Buddies

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
digitS' said:
If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.
Thanks Steve. You know, it started with an idea and has taken off from there. Something amazing is happening, something bigger than the small group of people who had an idea and decided to make it happen.

The community reaction is amazing! We've just been notified that a group has come forward to offer 3 more apple trees, a truck load of organic fertilizer and other supplies.

I don't entirely know where it's going, but I'm thrilled to be going along for the ride!

Here's an article that was published about the project:
http://episcopalnews.com/ViewDailyArticle.php?key=4475

Backyard Buddies

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
momsgarden said:
WOW!!!!

What a wonderful project!
Thanks! And it's fun, too. I didn't work out there this past weekend (too busy up in LA taking my daughter to the American Girl store where she got to meet Kristi Yamaguchi) but I'll be back out there this weekend. I'll try to take some more pictures for an update.

More trees have gone in since my last post, 2 Asian pears and a Flordahome pear. We still need to find a Hood to match the Flordahome. We've purchased but not yet potted several Southern Highbush blueberries in different varieties. We finally found the Moro blood orange and two of the four plums we'll be putting in (found Satsuma and Santa Rosa - still looking for Green Gage and Burgundy). We're also still on the hunt for the apricots. The new set of apples will be ready to plant in 5 weeks.

Ground prep is going slowly. Each bed is being worked and amended one by one. Once a bed is prepared by one group of folks, another group comes behind and plants it. It's slow work, but it's working for us.

Additionally, we've set aside a section of the garden for a special growing project. A local organization is offering free pumpkin plants. For each plant we take, we're expected to return at least one pumpkin. These pumpkins, up to 250 lbs, will be sold at a special fundraiser and the proceeds provided to The Free Wheelchair Mission, which provides wheelchairs in developing countries. http://www.freewheelchairmission.org/index.html
This will be a project primarily for the youth who're involved in the garden. They ought to have fun exploring just what makes a jumbo pumpkin! I'd love to hear any tips and tricks from any of you who've tried growing mammoth pumpkins.

cockadoodlemom

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I just read this whole thread and :ep wow! I pray God continues to Bless yall for all the hard work you are doing. It was so wonderful to see all the blessings pouring in to help yall help others as well. God Bless each one of you and Happy Growing.

Teresa

Backyard Buddies

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thanks Teresa! I AM feeling blessed, just for having the opportunity to be a part of this great project. The biggest blessing I'd like to see is a healthy harvest with lots of great, healthy food to share with those in need. A bit of strength might be a nice blessing as well. Tomorrow will be lots of digging and probably a bit of pick axe swinging as well! :weight

Backyard Buddies

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Hi. A week late, but here are some updated pictures from the garden. These were taken last weekend (5-3-2008). I was out there yesterday and am seeing more and more growth, but didn't take any pictures. I was too busy digging holes!

Last weekend we got more of the fruit trees into the ground. At this point, we are only waiting on 1 pear, 1 apricot, 3 apple trees, and a grapefruit. The grapefruit will be planted today.

We managed to get another two beds prepped last weekend and have planted 3 kinds of bean seeds (Contender Bush Beans, Golden Rod Bush Beans, and Jade Bush Beans) and the peppers and eggplants. When I was there yesterday, I was seeing some cracking at the surface, so the little sprouts should be up any day! The tomatoes are coming along (we even have little green tomatoes!) and are in serious need of some staking. Here's a picture of that portion of the garden before the planting was completed:

P1010655-May22008-1.jpg

And the orchard area:

May22008-1.jpg

We also have a new fence to separate the garden from the parking lot! It stretches the entire 130+ feet of the garden, with several gate openings, including one large enough to drive equipment through.

GordonsGarden-May22008-1.jpg

Another group will be out there working today, so I'll try to take some pictures next weekend. The goal this week is to get the pumpkins in the ground.

More later . . .

Carri

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Looks like you need more manure! :gig
I may be out there next weekend, on Saturday. I'll let you know! I actually have to go to my aunt's house to pick up a car (my grandma can't get in and out of the truck anymore) so I could swing by after I pick my truck back up.

Backyard Buddies

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Of course we need more manure! :lol: Pumpkins are supposed to like manure.

We will be out there this next weekend, so give me a call and let me know!

You know, when I look at those pictures it's hard to see just how big that space is. Those rows of prepared beds are 4' X 30'. They look much smaller in the pix!

Latest posts