Sweet Wild Syringa

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Just getting caught up with this great thread. What patience you have, Thistle! If nothing else, you may just have to ride her bareback. I can see that! ;)

That's what my husband said last night, haha. Poor guy has to listen to every detail (...and then she turned her head to the left and blinked twice...) every time I come in from working her. Must be true love :lol:.

If I did have to ride her bareback she at least has a nice comfy back for it.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Last Tuesday evening I went out for a training session with Syringa.
My training mentor said my next step should be getting her used to my weight by draping myself over her back. You know, like in old westerns when they were hauling some dead cowboy back to town, haha.

I have stood above her already and leaned against her and rubbed her off side all over so she's good with that. But I've never put my entire weight on her and lifted my feet off the support I stand on.
The reason behind the body drape is so if they get squirrely you can safely slide off. If you straddle them and they jump your first instinct is to clamp with your legs which adds to the horses excitement.
I don't want no stinkin rodeo!

We did all the preliminary warmups and refreshers, then I stood on my upturned muck bucket with her parallel and leaned over her and rubbed her entire right side. She was good with all that, so I situated myself over her and lifted my legs off the bucket. So far so good! She stood quietly. But my weight wasn't centered and I kept sliding off.

I decided I was going to have to give a little jump to get further over her back. I've been "jumping" around her for quite awhile now when I stand next to her and when I'm above her, so that's not new.
My so called jumps are really pathetic little hops without much ground clearance, but it's the best these old springless knees can do.

Anyway, back on the muck bucket I did a little jump onto her back, and she was fine, but my rib connected with her wither bone, I heard a pop and instant pain. So that was that. No more progress in that direction until I heal. I have cracked ribs before, so it's a familiar scenario. So frustrating though!

The plan now, has shifted to teaching her to load in my two horse straight load trailer. She loads up very well in a big slant load, but mine is a sardine can in comparison.

We have had 3 good sessions with the trailer, keeping every thing calm and not asking her for too much at a time. So far she will load her front feet in and stand while I rub her, then I back her out quietly and repeat. Yesterday she moved her fronts far enough in to reach the feed box and her back feet were on the ground just below the trailer.
She's still snorty about it so I'm not going to ask her to load her hinds until the first part is an everyday thing.

It's so fun watching her learn.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
wow @thistlebloom i'm so sorry, injuries at this time of the year can really mess up plans. i hope you heal up fast. :)

It's not so bad. Not keeping me from working, just have to modify the way I do things a little.
There's plenty of other things to do with Syringa too. My neighbor has offered to hang over her back for me. I may take her up on it, or I may just wait a little longer. I already know that she isn't bothered by it.