1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official TEG Poll: What is your garden style?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Help for this member with her Peach tree - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. TEG Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

Sweet Wild Syringa

Discussion in 'Gardening With Animals' started by thistlebloom, Jul 19, 2018.

1. May 16, 2019
    thistlebloom

thistlebloom Garden Master

Oh yes. I get on the fence above her and am teaching her to stand parallel to me, then I rub her all over and slide my foot along her back. The idea is to eventually ease my leg over and sit on her while keeping a foot and other hand on the fence rail in case she moves off. I am not at the sitting on her phase yet, I don't believe she's ready for that yet, and neither am I. But I do lead her to the picnic table and stand on the bench then lean my weight over her back and rub her opposite side all over. That's mentally comfortable for both of us.

She is reactive to sounds, and the jingle of the metal buckle on the cinch with the sensation of it flopping down on her side is what caused that explosive reaction with the saddle. I thought I had prepared her for that but apparently not.

Where she is now, measured against where she was when I brought her home, is reassuring enough to me to know that I'm right in going slow with her. And of course she can only progress as far as my own confidence allows, so we are a team in that respect.

It is slightly frustrating to me when I watch videos of mustang trainers and they are riding in less than a week. Makes me feel a little retarded, lol. But then we go back to who we both are and I'm content with my methods.

pjn, flowerbug, baymule and 2 others like this.
  2. May 16, 2019
    ninnymary

ninnymary Garden Master

I don't remember when you got her but what is the reason she is the way she is? Or is this normal? Was wondering if she had been abused.

Mary

flowerbug likes this.
  3. May 16, 2019
    thistlebloom

thistlebloom Garden Master

I brought her home last July 13. She's a mustang that I got from an adoption event in Missoula. No abuse, just a wild horse.

4. May 16, 2019
    baymule

baymule Garden Master

She sure is slick, shiny and pretty! As for her training, it takes as long as it takes. I'm not so sure about the "one week wonders" and think there may be a lot of holes in that sort of training. When you reach that day, she will be on a solid foundation, built on trust.

5. May 17, 2019
    flowerbug

flowerbug Garden Addicted

considering where you've started i find this all facinating and also reassuring somehow. :)

Carol Dee and thistlebloom like this.
  6. May 17, 2019
    canesisters

canesisters Garden Master

AGREE 100%!!

Carol Dee, baymule and flowerbug like this.