Sweet Wild Syringa

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
This evening was Syringas 5th ride. Between being wore out from my job when I get home and yucky weather, the time has lapsed between getting a daily ride in.
She has sorted out going forward and is walking comfortably. Today I asked for a trot and she gave me a dozen strides before stopping. Each time after that she picked it up quicker and held it longer. We trotted both directions, ended on a good note and called it very good. She was as calm as anything which is just huge. Eventually we will get a canter in, but for now I'm walking on air and am so enjoying this phase of our working together.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yesterday evening was Syringas first ride outside of the roundpen. It was in the neighborhood, where everything is familiar. We just walked, and she was very calm, other than a bit of sass with a head shake when I first asked her to step out. Uneventful, which is very good. The neighbors horses ran up to the fence in their pasture, a couple of cars passed us, and she kept her neck level, and ears flicking back toward me, which means she was connected and paying attention to me. Yay!

I have no illusions that every ride will be as easy with her, but this one set the tone, and we ended on a good positive. We still have roundpen lessons, and eventually I'll trailer her to an arena for more room to move out, but she seemed to be getting very bored with the roundpen and I would like to keep her engaged and not sour on riding, so I mixed it up a bit. Very happy. Big milestone.:weee

20200501_171504.jpg

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks! yes, it's really kind of hard to believe where we have gotten. Remembering when it was huge event being able to walk around behind her with a hand on her, and her not jumping away. And so many other little details. She's grown a lot, and I have too. I'm grateful for the whole experience and look forward to even more revelations and growth. 😍

A view I have been anticipating for a very long time. This mornings photo.

20200502_131225.jpg

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have a lot of photos like that, pony ears.
How is your groundwork going with her?

I love a picture framed in horse ears!

I would not be riding her if her groundwork wasn't perfect. If I am slack on the ground that is going to translate into a magnified problem in the saddle.
Since I had no deadline for when we accomplished each goal, I was able to work at her pace and get her solid before moving ahead. She's got a low threshold for repetitive schooling and I want to avoid getting into an argument with her, so I try to change things up often, before she gets pissy eared. It has helped her overall willingness to learn, and given her a brighter attitude.
When I finally embraced the idea of working her according to how each of us was progressing, and stopped reminding myself that "other people" would have been riding her long before I did, I relaxed and enjoyed the process more, no matter how much or little we seemed to accomplish. As Bay said, she's my life horse, there's no reason to rush.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Haha! Good question.
Groundwork is just that, training exercises you do on the ground rather than mounted. It's preparatory to riding, understanding cues you'll use while on their back. But is also training to have manners and respect your space. Standing still while being groomed, having their feet lifted and cleaned, leading calmly and walking where you want them, while staying mentally connected to you.

Latest posts