Tankless water heater~

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
I just looked at the skimatic http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pdfImages/26/269c977c-1b81-4f22-bc8a-371e2e0c39ed.pdf I do have the skematic booklet/ I have also talked to the ECO engineers as well as the county building inspector. When one considers that our current natural gas ( propane gas tank not allowed in the city ) water tank keeps the 40 gallons of water hot all the time, while the tankless only is in operation when the hot water is in use, and considering the cost of natural gas usage, it is actually cheaper to have all electric tankless. Yes, I have 200 amp service and I will install a sub- panel.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
If Natural Gas were here, it would pay to convert.
OURS runs on natural gas and so does our boiler, which USED to run on fuel oil. We still have the two tanks in a room in our basement. DH had the idea to switch over when they flagged by the street and we saw that there were gas lines there.
WOW, @bobm !! I had Heard of water heaters exploding, but really Never knew somebody or somebody who knew somebody else who actually HAD it happen to them. I just knew about the danger.
SCARY!!!! :th

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sierra Nevada mountains, and Nevada high desert
Water Heater Pressure Relief Valve - Prevent Water Heater Explosion .

xwater-heater-relief-valve01.jpg.pagespeed.ic.AQgal5eEX0.jpg

Water heater pressure relief valves
are safety devices designed to relieve
pressure from a water heater in case
of extreme temperature/pressure rise.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
We always lived out in the country with well water, so every year I drain the hot water tank to get rid of any sediment and check the pressure relief valve. I also check every mechanical and working parts in a house , garage, barn. Annual inspections reveal anything that needs maintenance/ replacement and saves money in the long run.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
friend of mine is lic plumber & when he did our water heater a few years ago he said the biggest issue is when people get their heaters from the big box store they don't get these valves or bother to install them thinking why there is no need. i personally have yet to witness a heater explode, but i have seen when the bottom has fallen out & there is water all over the floor 2 times in my lifetime. 1 at my parents house & 1 at this house when we were renovating it just before we moved in. thank goodness for a dirt basement with an old well nearby it.(yes, the old well is actually in my basement, under my kitchen).

PennyJo

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
and just 1300.00 what a bargain :caf Amazon has much easier prices on the pocket book
that is where the last one came from... as the bf is 70 only so many things in a day:hide

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hi PennyJo, If you're talking about the one I posted, it was that price, but was returned to Home Depot W/O the remote, and was reduced to $340. We bought it at the reduced price.

I called Rheem, and a good man there sent a remote. When we tested it, installed on a board outside, there was a bad leak inside,that may be why it was returned, There was a missing Clip that held the copper line to the condensation tank. The neoprene seal was in good shape and the clip was lying inside, slightly expanded, I bent it closed and snapped it in place, dried the interior with warm air, plugged it in, turned on the LP gas and water and it fired up, no leaks.

It vents with 3" PVC Pipe, both the intake and exhaust.

Our water, tank type, is working well, Carol who has a ranch west of us, has been without hot water, I hear for weeks, I'm sure she will be pleased with it, she can give us a run in shed frame, she's a lot of metal, laying around there, that way she won't feel like a charity case, she wouldn't like that. I'll put it in for her, she must be heating water on the stove.
She'll think she's doing us the favor, she will be really.

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Chickie'sMoma

I saw an explosion that had been arranged intentionally by capping the safety valve and fixing a continuing gas burn. Actually when a thermal couple goes bad the gas valve shuts off, like the brakes on a 16 wheeler, when it looses air the brakes come on,so it's hard to imagine that happening now, but.

Any way in the picture we watched the tank went through the roof like a rocket.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
i saw that video a couple years ago too. interesting to see that. around here a few years ago there were situations happening with propane tanks hooked up to houses where they were done by an unlicensed pipe fitter or home owners & they caused massive explosions. in NH the only way we can now hook up anything gas related requires someone who is licensed in gas fitting. when my gas stove was refitted after the remodel of the kitchen it had to go through a pressure test of the line before we could get the ok from the gas company to hookup their tank.

i think someone here on TEG mentioned a couple years ago they they lost some neighbors to a similar situation.