That blue bottle tread that we all needed but dared not start.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Carol Dee said, "I think I actually like the green one better!"

Do you think it might be because of the shape rather than the color? I prefer the smooth form of the green wings over the bulbous shape of the blue ones. My blue wine bottles should look more like the green dragonfly wings.
You might be right. Shape is better, But then Blue is not my Favorite color anyway! :hide

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
How pretty is this?

The-finished-bottle-wall.jpg

Here's the article on how they did it.

I've been trying to collect more blue bottles for windchimes, but I think someone else is getting there before me. It has been a long time since I've found one. :(

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
That is awesome, @journey11!

I do have five blue (now empty) wine bottles and two or three green ones for leaves. Not sure what I want so I'm not sure how many more I will have to empty for my garden art project.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Like a stained glass window in the garden!

My sister just visited and brought me some of the fruits of her dumpster diving through the dumps glass recycle bin. I put them up on my moms bottle tree
that I brought home. Maybe I'll take a picture tomorrow.

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Since this seems to be an issue for some people, I should point out there are quite a few non-alcoholic beverages that come in blue bottles as well. A few of the Arizona Iced teas do (though they have native American type designs enameled on them, I think, which might impede some projects).
There are also quite a few mineral waters that come in blue glass. I want to keep saying cobalt blue glass, but I have a nagging suspicion that they no longer used cobalt to blue up the glass. That's stuffs expensive, so I doubt it's cost effective for bottles (lamp working canes for beadmaking, maybe, but not mass produced bottles). Saratoga sometimes comes in blue and so does the eponymous "Blu Bottl"
And of, course, there is Ty Nant which is a double use since the carbonated comes in blue and the still in red, though I think the red is just painted (in fact I'm almost sure of it, thanks to bead collecting I know something of what you need to add to glass for the various shades, and that shade of red is hard without the use of actual gold, which is expensive or selenium which is dangerous (and probably illegal now)
Also if you happen to have any neigbors who are Russian (or other eastern bloc) ask if they have any empty Borjomi bottles. The pale green of those is quite distinctive (the bottle color is actually copyrighted, so no other water can use bottles that color.) One warning though, don't buy the water just for the bottle (Borjomi is very much an acquired taste, you'll either love it, or think it tastes like carbonated seawater.)
From time to time I save a bottle for something because I think it's pretty. There's a little olive oil bottle in storage whose shade of emerald green I quite liked (though it probably won't get any companions, the oil itself was awful.) Though admittedly a lot of those were saved for their shape, not their color (like the honey that came in the glass teddy bear (no not the plastic squeeze kind, glass) or the Greek one in the amphora.
I also tried to do one of those marble/ glass mosaic things once. However it sort of backfired. Being short of glass chips I used some leftover oval glass beads I had bought at a rock and mineral show as a kid (nice regular shapes lots of pretty colors) it wasn't till later I realized that the beads were 1. Czech and 2. from the 1960-70's so that some of the (most notably the grape green ones were A. colored with Uranium Oxide and therefore B. radioactive. Not enough to be dangerous (they're basically alpha emitters only) but plenty to set off a Geiger counter and send the guy who came around with one to check for radon into a panic!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
People ask for information.

People ask for help.

Perhaps, we can think that many found what they were looking for.

Steve
still not drinking Bud light

Latest posts