That's it! Now I'm mad!

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Snow is referred to as poor man's manure. The good thing about snow this time of year is that it does not stay around very long. A few days ago I was thinking about taking out the tiller-not today! I will play around in my greenhouse today to ease the pain.

Smiles Jr.

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
catjac1975 said:
. . . I will play around in my greenhouse today to ease the pain.
I did that practically all day yesterday. I had to re-pot lots of seedlings that were getting too big for their tiny starter trays. Now I have 11 trays of 3" tall plants to haul out to the greenhouse each morning and back into the utility room each evening.
This is what I get for starting too soon. I wish I had heat in the greenhouse. But even with all the cloud cover yesterday it was almost 80F in there. It's the cold nights that makes me have to bring the plants inside nowadays.

I'm considering building a rocket mass heater for in there this summer but I don't really need another project. I'd probably burn the place down anyway. But with 30 very big, very old oak trees in our yard and many more hardwoods back in the "back forty" I always have piles of small branches to dispose of every year. Plus all the scraps from log splitting every year.

We'll see how that goes.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I had to look up a "rocket mass stove" . . . Used to want a masonry stove for my house but never figured I could afford to build a large enuf building to accommodate it.

Well, I thought I'd be getting up to snow on the ground this morning. The 70% chance seems to have flown by! Heather in Montana must have found it in her yard instead. Maybe, Thistle', too?

I was wondering how Alaskans were doing this winter. You know, while the MidWesterners were surprised by their warm winter last year, Alaska was just getting HAMMERED! Fuel for the anti-global warming crowd in that oil state, I suppose. Anyway, I looked thru the WS info on Anchorage this morning and it looks like a normal start to the year, maybe a little warmer.

I'm blaming Alaska for not having snow this morning. Maybe I should be blaming Vancouver Island. The storm was kind of in "tatters" coming this way. These winter storms are fairly common from that direction but they just haven't amounted to much this winter. What it means right now is that the sun is just breaking thru on the horizon and, man, I'm all for that!

Good luck with those 11 flats every night in your utility room, Smiles. Yeah, I've had plastic down in there and flats lined up where it was a danger for me to try to walk thru! Heat in the greenhouse has made things safer for me in the utility room. Oops! Better get those sheets out on the line . . . or, might those end up in Montana this morning, too?!!

Steve

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
digitS' said:
Well, I thought I'd be getting up to snow on the ground this morning. The 70% chance seems to have flown by! Heather in Montana must have found it in her yard instead. Maybe, Thistle', too?

Steve
Yup you guessed it! Not as much as was predicted tho, the storm must have fizzled out significantly.

Smiles was really making me chuckle with getting mad about snow at this time of year. I do get mad when snow comes late in the season and i want to be outside doing things...but for me that's June!! Can't get too worked up about it just yet, cause its going to be coming down for a while. :/

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm mad too! :somad :p

We've got about 3" of heavy, wet snow today and more coming down as we speak. Very pretty. And very annoying!

It's the back and forth that gets me. Spring is such a tease this year. :tongue

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
We got just a trace of snow, and with a bit of fitful sunshine it's already gone.
I'm happy to report that the old winter snow is gone from all of my beds except a few in the front garden by the road. :ya

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Ended up just being flurries. I sat at the table for a few hours and drafted out the garden plan. It's always a guessing game whether I'll follow it or not! I'm waiting for it to dry out at least a little so I can get my flat of Cole veggies out!

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
journey11 said:
Spring is such a tease this year. :tongue
Spring has not begun teasing yet in south-est, central-est Wisconsin. March typically has average temperatures in the 40s. So far we're still stuck in the (mostly) low thirties.

We may get a dusting or up to 3 inches, while on the backside of the storm Smiles mentioned, is more cold with temperatures into the single digits - not normal for this time of year at all.

Winter still has it's grip here. Once Spring does arrive I expect her teasing, taunting fluctuations will start in earnest. Can't be too soon for me.

Love, Smart Red

Latest posts