The 2013 Garden, What are You Hoping For

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm hoping for a structure of some sort (green house / hoophouse ) to put a few tomatoes and peppers in to increase the possibility of ripe fruit. Also for somehow finding the time and energy to do a better job on my garden than last year. :rolleyes:

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
That I'm forced to grow a few tomatoes in pots on the deck so I have some fresh tomatoes and that's it since we have bought a house and the birth of our 2nd child (right now the due date is July 4th so we'll see how that goes) will have me too busy to do a traditional 2013 garden. However 2014 it will be game on! :ya

More details to follow

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
seedcorn said:
Southern Gardener said:
I'm hoping for a better tomato yield.
Don't know if you can get it, but use a product called Black Label Zinc Fantastic product for tomato's. Especially if you fight blossom end rot or spindly plants.
Thanks seedcorn - I looked around on the internet and couldn't find it.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
First and foremost, I hope to get myself into a good gardening condition health-wise. To that end, I have started daily strength, endurance, and balance exercises. If I could do it once, I should be able to do it again, huh?

I hope to get early spring veggies growing in the garden shed once the temperatures tend to stay above the teens. I fear everything would freeze in the coldest of winter nights.

I plan to expand my veggie garden - using the raised beds for smaller crops and tilling some larger garden beds for others.
I also hope to start a revamping of all my flower gardens. Since I got [WHATEVER] some 7 years ago I've let the flower beds go and focused on growing fruits and veggies.

If not, I'll just keep trying to grow as much as possible in my raised beds. At least I know I can handle them.

I also will have to clear some dead (or reverted) trees from the orchard and replace them. I've seen the varieties I want, but will wait until later in the spring to decide if my daily progress indicated I can handle the work.

Of course, these plans imply that we will have a far more 'normal' growing season in 2013.

Love, Smart Red

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Jared77 said:
That I'm forced to grow a few tomatoes in pots on the deck so I have some fresh tomatoes and that's it since we have bought a house and the birth of our 2nd child (right now the due date is July 4th so we'll see how that goes) will have me too busy to do a traditional 2013 garden. However 2014 it will be game on! :ya

More details to follow
First, congratulations! :thumbsup That is the best you can hope for in 2013. Growing a beautiful family! :rose

This is a big question, my hopes and dreams for the garden in 2013. When I look back on past years especially 2012, I've learned I've had tons of hopes dashed by failures of numerous amounts. At the same time, so many things went beyond what I could ever have dreamed. Just look back at such posts as my canning, and the unexpected giant sweet potatoes.

I've got PILES of seed catalogs on the table I just got to opening last night. DD and I started highlighting the plants we wanted today. Some are just for fun, and some are needed. I find myself disappointed with many things over and over again, so we're going to try new varieties of things I've failed with in the past. Like corn!

However, we had a GREAT year for tomatoes last year.... we harvested 100's of lbs. We canned TONS of maters. I would do ANYTHING to have such a wonderful year with tomatoes like we did last year. Not to mention the success we had with potatoes. Those are things we hope the weather works out as nicely this year, to have another successful year with those plants. How lucky can we get, that maybe it happens twice?!

Either way, we want EVERYTHING to work out... but I'm happy to take the successes we can have, even with the failures that are bound to come. That's the joy of being a backyard gardener, we're going to only succeed but so far. Its a lifetime of learning. If we always had success, where would the fun in what we do be?!

So for 2013, I can only really hope that I don't spend more then I harvest. :) I just NEED to break even to be happy! Anything beyond that.... just pure bonus.

edited: chatty child kept trying to read out loud what I was typing, while I was typing and my spelling was worse then usual. :smack

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
here's what i hope for this year:
-the time to get everything started that i want grow this year.
-to be organized :rolleyes: with my garden plan (i always make one but never end up following it)
-be able to till enough new ground without making myself ache for a week.
-get my grow lights finally put together where the cats won't get to the plants and eat them.
-would love to have my greenhouse finally put up, and some low tunnels to get some greens going early spring.
-all the fruit trees i bought get in the ground and thrive with good weather this year!

for everyone to have great planting and growing seasons with no serious issues this year! :D

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
vfem said:
However, we had a GREAT year for tomatoes last year.... we harvested 100's of lbs. We canned TONS of maters.
Neat trick, harvest 100's and can by the TON.......Need to learn how..........:bow

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hay SeedCorn :p

:bun

and for Thistle...

:bouquet :bouquet :bouquet

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh, Jarred Congratulations! Yes, growing a new gardener wins the prize! Looking forward to "details to follow."
At this point, I hope I have a garden!

Latest posts