The 2013 Garden, What are You Hoping For

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
catjac1975 said:
Don't skimp on fencing. We use green coated heavy wire fencing and bury it 12-18 inches deep to keep out pests. The lower part is lined with green coated chicken wire to keep out the small animals. The first fences we did well were put up over 30 years ago and still look brand new. Some of the old posts have been replaced but most are original pressure treated. My husband hates replacing what he has already done!
I agree and I would like it buried also for my rabbits that they cannot get out. My husband is waiting for some free chain link in the spring from a friend. If he does not get the chain link, I will tell him about the green coated.

joz

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Chickens!

I put together the greenhouse I started last year (plastic shelf unit, 20ga clear double polished vinyl, zippers, and duct tape) so I can start tomato seeds (a week later already than scheduled.... sigh). Put in some peas and garlic yesterday, both of which are new to me. I really hope I didn't screw up the garlic. When they tell you to "plant when it gets cold", and the temps dip into the 40s and climb back up to the upper 70s... when am I supposed to plant?

I had decent luck with tomatoes last year, so this year I'm hoping my cukes and zucchs do better. I got ONE cucumber, and no zucchs at all.

I bought my boyfriend a handheld propane torch for Christmas ("AWESOME! A FLAMETHROWER!"), so I'm also hoping he keeps our fencelines clear of weeds. I have 2 rental neighbors bordering the long side of my garden that do not take care of their yards AT ALL.

My New Year's Resolution is to stop slacking off. So I'm hoping to get this current work project finished, do my kitchen (3 years, no countertop, no sink, no dishwasher, no cabinets. This must end.), and rebuild my back stair with the integrated chicken coop/run. Then I can have chickens. :) I'm also considering rabbits, from a purely poop-producing perspective.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sounds like you are guilty of starting projects and not finishing them? Is that correct? Make a list and prioritize what should be completed first. Don't start anything new until you get through the list. (Sounds like the kitchen would be a good bet.) I often have a few things going on at once but I am a finisher. It is often difficult to get my husband started on a project.Once we start I can usually get him to finish. The best thing with my husband is to plan a big party long enough in advance to get things done. Good luck!
joz said:
Chickens!

I put together the greenhouse I started last year (plastic shelf unit, 20ga clear double polished vinyl, zippers, and duct tape) so I can start tomato seeds (a week later already than scheduled.... sigh). Put in some peas and garlic yesterday, both of which are new to me. I really hope I didn't screw up the garlic. When they tell you to "plant when it gets cold", and the temps dip into the 40s and climb back up to the upper 70s... when am I supposed to plant?

I had decent luck with tomatoes last year, so this year I'm hoping my cukes and zucchs do better. I got ONE cucumber, and no zucchs at all.

I bought my boyfriend a handheld propane torch for Christmas ("AWESOME! A FLAMETHROWER!"), so I'm also hoping he keeps our fencelines clear of weeds. I have 2 rental neighbors bordering the long side of my garden that do not take care of their yards AT ALL.

My New Year's Resolution is to stop slacking off. So I'm hoping to get this current work project finished, do my kitchen (3 years, no countertop, no sink, no dishwasher, no cabinets. This must end.), and rebuild my back stair with the integrated chicken coop/run. Then I can have chickens. :) I'm also considering rabbits, from a purely poop-producing perspective.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
thistlebloom said:
seedcorn said:
vfem said:
However, we had a GREAT year for tomatoes last year.... we harvested 100's of lbs. We canned TONS of maters.
Neat trick, harvest 100's and can by the TON.......Need to learn how..........:bow
Geez Seedcorn, it's garden math doncha know? :D
It's like chicken math, I built a coop for 4 chickens and now I have 13 and 3 ducks! ...and I have room for more. hahahaha

grow_my_own

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'm hoping for a better yield this year. My plants were HUGE last year, very green and lush, but produced very little, with the exception of the tomatillos and Ichiban eggplant. As last year's garden was the first we've had at this house, we learned a lot about our soil and microclimate and what to do better this year. Going to be growing a lot more greens this year (kale, chard, etc.) and going to try to grow my own onions, garlic, and shallots this year.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Grow_my_own, a greens garden really helps, or should -- especially if that coastal weather sloshes over the hill into your valley again this year.

Naughty said:
. . . others were giving up due to lack of .....
Is Naughty afraid to use the word "rain" . . ? Your winter wheat should/may be getting enough snow for good growth, yes?

I like having Skeeter9 around again . . .

Steve

Mattemma

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I want lots of zukes,melons,and ground cherries.Some decent sized peppers would be nice too.

StupidBird

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Hey everyone! It's been awhile...but today I'm a couch potato with the flu. Ick. But my plans for the 2013 season? Besides getting over the flu.

Get the drip irrigation designed (this time not by ME), ordered and installed by April planting. Previous system cluelessly designed (inadequate zones, coverage, etc) and got eaten by rodents looking for water in the drought. And hire my friend's kid to do all the heavy work so we're caught up by the hot weather. Splurge on all the zones, automatic timer, whatever the pro designer says; I expect it to be another bad year. And to prevent chewing, I'll follow suggestions found on TEG of setting out water dishes.

Spray, cover, doing what ever it takes to get cucumbers and squash this year.

Mattemma, I'd show you the photo of last fall's frost day harvest of peppers, but the program says its not a jpeg file, while my computer says it is, and won't load.

edited because I fixed it!
6484_poppelspeppers2012.jpg

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'm hoping to grow strictly heirloom varieties and seed everything I can. My ultimate goal is to never buy seed again, as well as create my own crosses.

Latest posts