The 2014 Little Easy Bean Network - Get New Beans On The Cheap

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, it looks like a cowpea pod to me. Some cowpeas are pretty round.

As for the amount of vine, again it varies from strain to strain. Quite a lot of my rice beans are like that, they will make tons and tons of vine and then few or no flowers/pods. All i was saying is that, as far as I know, Earh peas do not make pods above ground, and based on what I have seen online, those pods are too long to be earth pea pods in any case.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Those leaves, that flower, and the pods all remind me a lot of my purple hull black eyed peas. Those definitely look like peas to me. But one seed making that monster. I guess everything IS bigger in Texas.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
The Prescott's Old Family Heirloom harvest has begun! American quarter and some sort of Aussie coinage at right for size. This is probably my second favorite bean that I've grown so far.

@Bluejay77 I'm going to need your address.
View attachment 4063

I've also harvested a lot of Fort Portal Mixed beans too. @Pulsegleaner, if your supply ever runs low you know who to call. They did good here, still a lot of green pods that need to dry yet. I got all of these off of one plant.
View attachment 4062

Hey SeedO,

Wow you grew really great Prescott's Old Family Heirloom seed! That is so cool. The variety will live on. Plus in the process you found another favorite bean.

The Armenian Giant Black is growing pods. I hope it makes mature seed before the season is over.

Hal

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
The Prescott's Old Family Heirloom harvest has begun! American quarter and some sort of Aussie coinage at right for size. This is probably my second favorite bean that I've grown so far.

@Bluejay77 I'm going to need your address.
View attachment 4063

I've also harvested a lot of Fort Portal Mixed beans too. @Pulsegleaner, if your supply ever runs low you know who to call. They did good here, still a lot of green pods that need to dry yet. I got all of these off of one plant.
View attachment 4062
SeedO the Preston's seed you harvested is exactly how I recall it should look and good quality! I think there is only one seed source still selling it Down Under, they just happen to know the value of preserving older vegetables :)
By the way that lovely gold Aussie coinage is the Australian dollar!

Last edited:

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
SeedO the Prescott seed you harvested is exactly how I recall it should look and good quality! I think there is only one seed source still selling it Down Under, they just happen to know the value of preserving older vegetables :)
By the way that lovely gold Aussie coinage is the Australian dollar!

Hal,

What can you tell us about Prescott's Old Family Heirloom? How much of the beans history might you know? Who is the seller in Australia?

Hal

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hal,

What can you tell us about Prescott's Old Family Heirloom? How much of the beans history might you know? Who is the seller in Australia?

First of all I accidentally used the wrong name, I went back and fixed my post. I had not noticed I'd mixed up the name till I went to check my garden journal, I was probably thinking of one of the two Prescott cantaloupes.
According to my garden journal notes I couldn't turn up anything in the bean book and old news paper articles (I often check the archived papers for information on Australian vegetables) all I know is it is an old one and that Green Patch seeds in Australia sell it and Livingseeds in South Africa sell it (which would explain your sample from there)
Sorry I cannot be much more use, unfortunately a lot of the Australian vegetable history is lost and often the vegetables themselves.

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Beans and garden are miserable. We were gone for 22 days and altho everything is on drip, or on Dripworks tubing, it all suffered. Unlike most of you, I have a small space behind a deer fence. But do look at what the deer did while we were gone.