The 2014 Little Easy Bean Network - Get New Beans On The Cheap

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Snort! Wish I did - I like venison. But I don't think the golf course neighborhood would allow me to pop a few bucks, mamas or fawns. We leave that to the one mountain lion that gets about one a year here in the 'hood.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
What Bay calls a "Pea" is a Cowpea. She's kinda Texan that way.

:lol:

Yep, looks like a "Cowpea" to me.

One of my Nyimo African Groundnuts is still alive and healthy. Still hoping it makes at least a few seeds.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hi there, @marshallsmyth ! :frow Did they get your internet fixed?

The dry bean pods are starting to roll in here now. I harvested some really pretty ones today. Somebody remind me next year not to plant beans beside the row of sunflowers. I had to dodge a lot of bumblebees to get to them!

We had some of the Gold of Bacau wax beans for dinner last night and they were so tender and tasty. :)

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
I like those gold of bacau a lot because they don't even need to be cooked to eat them.

Yep, got the internet fixed, but still no working generator. On solar panels only, here in the woods, so my time online is limited.

Journey, did you grow those powder stars? How'd they do for you? Pretty sure they are an appalachian type of bean. Photos?

Pulsegleaner

Garden Addicted
Reaction score

One of my Nyimo African Groundnuts is still alive and healthy. Still hoping it makes at least a few seeds.

Oh, another of those North/South Pea things. Okay that clear things up a bit

Though there may be some interesting genetics involved anyway. Besides the plants obvious vegetative fecundity, I'm not sure if I've ever seen a cowpea with yellow flowers before (assuming they are yellow, it's hard to tell from the back, which is all I can see). Adzukis and Rice beans sure, yellow is common for them (in fact it's anything BUT yellow that is the exception). But for a cowpea? Most of the ones I've grown that made flowers were either yellow purple bicolor (mostly the smaller seeded ones) or blue (bigger ones).

Wonder if down the road we'll start seeing blue seeded earth peas. I've got a few blue cowpeas and since cows and earth appear to share similar palettes there should be some out there.

My cowpeas are not doing so hot. They're still there but no flowers this year (though one of them is growing a great deal seems to be committed to driving the one of the rice bean clumps off its pole. Porbably selected badly. Next year I think I'll try the mottle eyes again (their basically the same thing as the brown eyes I gave seedobssessor and those are doing wonderfully for him (and he's a zone lower than me!)

the1honeycomb

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi @marshallsmyth good to see you online! Billings gate need to be on my list for next year!
My Woza beans are really producing some of the pods now have a purple streaks and the pods are getting tighter. I accidentally pulled one up by the roots but it is so wrapped up inn the other vines I left it.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score

I eat peas. I am not a cow. Them t'other thangs are green peas. I eat them too. Is it all clear now? :lol:

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Snort! Wish I did - I like venison. But I don't think the golf course neighborhood would allow me to pop a few bucks, mamas or fawns. We leave that to the one mountain lion that gets about one a year here in the 'hood.
Maybe the mountain lion would share.....after all, you've been feeding the deer for him! :lol:

Pulsegleaner

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I eat peas. I am not a cow. Them t'other thangs are green peas. I eat them too. Is it all clear now? :lol:

For the moment, though I wonder under those circumstances what you call the other kind when they are the dried kind you use for soup, since most soup peas are yellow inside at maturity; not green (and don't ever get me started about the ones that are orange!). Or how you would describe one of your kind of peas that was green inside (yes, they exist)

I suppose it's a bit like the problem I have with describing some Pisum peas I have that are "black eyed". The hila are black, which makes them "black eyed" by the terms used to describe soybeans (to make things even more muddled I have (or had) soybeans that had "eyes" in the your pea sense and couldn't find a term for them (ended up just going with "ring") )

It's obvios that this is going to be a bone of contention, so from now on, I'll just refer to the other ones by their scientific name, and let "peas" be your kind of peas (on the grounds it is easier to write Pisum, which I can, because there are no other members of the genus anyone eats and would therefore probably grow, than Vigna unguiculata, which I'd have to as if is said Vigna alone you wouldn't know if I was talking about your peas, the earth peas, my adzuki's, my rice beans, my mung beans, mothe beans, or urd beans (which are all Vigna)

There, now everyone can be happy. I'm keeping "mottle eye" though, unless you know a better word for it (there are black eyed peas, and brown eyed peas, red eyed peas and green eyed peas, so mottled eye seems to make sense to me)

Oh and for those more familiar with peas, is there such a thing as a black eyed red skinned pea? I don't think I've ever seen one but there should be one (I've got ones that are black on black, so it's not like the eye is genetically bound to a white coat)

Latest posts