The Any Wonderful Food You Made From Your Garden Today Thread!

kathyschix

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Mmmmmm...made a BIG spinach salad with hot bacon dressing for supper. 15 y.o. DS wasn't sure he would like it so I made him a "side" salad. He literally wiped the bowl clean with his fingers. :)

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
kathyschix said:
Mmmmmm...made a BIG spinach salad with hot bacon dressing for supper. 15 y.o. DS wasn't sure he would like it so I made him a "side" salad. He literally wiped the bowl clean with his fingers. :)
Ok I am copying you :) !!! thanks

tonight it is the above wonderful salad idea ...with cornish hens on the grill! I put fresh sage with butter under the skin before grilling the split hens and salt the outside alder smoke

and fresh herb tea (I think I will do a mix of mint, lemon and ginger)

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
This is a great thread and I hope to have something to contribute soon.

As of right now, we are eating very little from the garden, but the plants are just starting to take off here (my romaine is about 2" tall too). I live in a bit of a frost pocket, so my garden is delayed for my region. It is tricky to grow spring crops here . . . easier to winter over cool weather crops established by fall, or just skip spring crops and start the summer crops.

I am also a little frustrated because I have worked very hard establishing edibles the last few years, but few of the perennial ones are ready for harvesting. So all that work and . . . not much yet. But I can see the plants are getting their foot hold. Patience is just not in my nature. :p

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
DrakeMaiden said:
This is a great thread and I hope to have something to contribute soon.

As of right now, we are eating very little from the garden, but the plants are just starting to take off here (my romaine is about 2" tall too). I live in a bit of a frost pocket, so my garden is delayed for my region. It is tricky to grow spring crops here . . . easier to winter over cool weather crops established by fall, or just skip spring crops and start the summer crops.

I am also a little frustrated because I have worked very hard establishing edibles the last few years, but few of the perennial ones are ready for harvesting. So all that work and . . . not much yet. But I can see the plants are getting their foot hold. Patience is just not in my nature. :p
looks like we live in the sameish area but you are right we have "pockets" here and I live in a very temporate pocket of the Puget Sound so I rarely get any frost I start planting in January and start picking in April usually this year we had a very long winter! but the weather is outstanding now so things are bursting!

good luck :)

I am going to plant dahlias today! not edible but I adore eating dinner with fresh flowers on the table! they are so important to feed the eyes as well as the food on your plate feeding your tummy
does anyone else feel this way? do you plant flowers for the table?

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
HiDelight said:
I am going to plant dahlias today! not edible but I adore eating dinner with fresh flowers on the table! they are so important to feed the eyes as well as the food on your plate feeding your tummy
does anyone else feel this way? do you plant flowers for the table?
Yes, totally! I have focused on edibles since we moved here two years ago and let my ornamentals just go . . . . I have been frustrated because of this too. In fact, my husband recently installed the trellis we have been holding on to for about two years now (just finally had time to put it in) so I could plant the clematis I have had in pots. It felt so very good to have something nice to look at for a change!!!! You can't underestimate the value of ornamentals.

But, just to be clear, you can actually eat dahlias. The tubers, I believe. I guess some people make dahlia bread! There you go, something new to try!

big brown horse

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Edible dahlias? I planted two tubers about a month ago and nothing. (It was my first time.) Are they to be treated like potatoes because they are tubers?

Dinner tonight? Well, it is not for tonite but I just made my very first batch of sauerkraut!! Thanks to this forum I learned how to make sauerkraut! :clap I think it will be a soup night. I make soup 5 days a week, it is my favorite thing to make. Chicken tortillia soup for tonight.

Sadly like DrakeMaiden my garden is on the slow side. It is plugging along but nothing is ready to eat except the radishs, we ate those days ago!

I do have tons of sage so if anyone cooks with this, give me a head's up on how to use it creatively! I know it pares well with chicken and I have roasted chicken with it tucked inside the skin etc. Hey HiDelight, we need to get together for a sage rolling party! ;)

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
NO did it sound like I eat dahlias???? I am sorry NO I DONT EAT DAHLIAs I just like looking at them while I eat!!!!

so sorry for the confusion ..I love to plant flowers to cut and put in a vase and look at while I eat!

I am so dorky sometimes

please do not eat the dahlias!!! just look at them!

OOOXXX

sorry!!!!

I am excited about your saurkraut! it is going to be beautiful!

I love kimchi so I make that way more often than kraut ...all kinds of kimchi's from the firm greens I am going to try to make some radish top kimchi as soon as I stop eating them in my soup for lunch

Like now :)

this is very fun I am so glad I met you guys

keep on cooking and sharing and thanks for participating!

BBH and Drakemaiden we need to set up a gathering maybe later this summer I think ..perhaps a pot luck?

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
I do have tons of sage so if anyone cooks with this, give me a head's up on how to use it creatively! I know it pares well with chicken and I have roasted chicken with it tucked inside the skin etc. Hey HiDelight, we need to get together for a sage rolling party! ;)
ok we roll sage ..do not eat dahlias and a pot luck :)

I love sage in compound butter

hand it and dry it then use it on poultry and in stuffings ..also I make a compound butter out of sage stuff it under the skin of poultry before roasting or grilling
you can also deep fry the leaves and then serve them as a garnish they are really flavorful that way

what else ..hmmm let me think it is funny sage grows so well here it really likes crappy soil and ours is so rich! but it does I have monster sage plants as well! they are going to blooms soon and the bees and butterflies will be around doing their thing :)

COgirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Hi big brown horse :frow here is a recipe for you to use some of your sage, this is a summertime favorite for us

Grilled Lemon-Sage Chicken

Marinade
1t olive oil
1 t grated lemon zest
1/4c fresh lemon juice
1/4 c chopped fresh sage leaves
1 T chopped fresh rosemary or 1 t dried
2 or 3 med cloves of garlic minced or 1 to 1 1/2 t bottled minced
1 t whole black peppercorns crushed
1/2 t salt

6 boneless skinless chick breast
6 lemon slices cut in half
Fresh sage leaves for garnish

Combine marinade ingredients in plastic bag

Lightly flatten chicken to 1/4 " thickness. Add to marinade and turn to coat evenly. Seal bag and refrigerate for at least 30 min or overnight. (I usually do overnight or make it first thing in the morning of the day I'm making it)

Discard marinade
Preheat grill to med-high.
Grill chicken 6-7 min per side or until done
Garnish with lemon slices and sage
Enjoy :happy_flower

The amounts given are just guidelines I always use more garlic but we love garlic

Latest posts