The Any Wonderful Food You Made From Your Garden Today Thread!

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I was just worried I caused some confusion, HiDelight. I don't know how good dahlia tubers taste, but if you were starving and only had an ornametal garden with lots of dahlias . . . . I think it is just something worth knowing.

I almost forgot. I have had something from the garden recently. I had my basil plants out in the greenhouse, but it got cold at night about a week ago, so I had to tuck them back into the house. They didn't fit under their grow lights anymore, so I had to snip them back (which probably needed doing anyway) and we had some lovely thai peanut pizza with loads of thai basil. Oh my, that was yummy. :drool You can't beat fresh basil! I also thinned out my walla walla onions that same day and so I added some thinly sliced onion on the pizza too. :)

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
GrowinVeggiesInSC said:
Pesto pasta with homegrown eggplant, yellow squash and zucchini. Pesto made from homegrown basil, of course.
It was soooooo good!
Tomorrow we're having green beans, more eggplant and more zucchini!
AND I think I might have my first red cherry tomato tomorrow. Yes, just one. The others are still green. :drool
OH I would love to be able to grow eggplant here ..some folks do but I have had horrid luck it needs nice hot summers I guess

those I have to buy what a wonderful and pretty vegetable it is

you are so far along!

GrowinVeggiesInSC

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
HiDelight said:
OH I would love to be able to grow eggplant here ..some folks do but I have had horrid luck it needs nice hot summers I guess

those I have to buy what a wonderful and pretty vegetable it is

you are so far along!
Yes, we started earlier than usual this year, I had one teeny frost I had to protect against, I covered everything in sheets and it made it through. We had unbelievable amounts of eggplant last year, all the way into late, late Fall! This week everything has been growing in double-time, we got all that rain, and now things are enjoying the hot sun. I love my zone!

Here's the haul from last night, I'm getting ready to go out and pull more!

DSC03792.jpg

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
my sister lives in Columbia ...she always wants to grow things and now I am going to show her your picture and tell her to get her butt busy on the veggie garden !!!

no excuses!!! that is so freaking pretty!!!! I would make a curry out of all of that if I had it :)

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
HiDelight said:
You might want to try some of the smaller varieties. There is an Indian (as in from India) variety that isn't much bigger than a golf ball and sort of tear drop shaped that I have had very good luck growing here. I do keep them in a greenhouse, but you could also rig something up to keep it a little bit warmer, I suspect. A little heat tent, if you will. Worth trying if you love eggplant as much as I do. :)

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
DrakeMaiden said:
HiDelight said:
You might want to try some of the smaller varieties. There is an Indian (as in from India) variety that isn't much bigger than a golf ball and sort of tear drop shaped that I have had very good luck growing here. I do keep them in a greenhouse, but you could also rig something up to keep it a little bit warmer, I suspect. A little heat tent, if you will. Worth trying if you love eggplant as much as I do. :)
I have the list for the tilth sale tomorrow lets see what is on it ...hmmmmmm

yup two kinds :) they have Swallow and Little fingers whatever those are they sound little (I love those little green ones that you can slice and eat raw ..I see them mostly at the Asian markets

I will take your advice and get some tomorrow!!! what the heck there is always room for more vegetables !

looking so forward to meeting you guys!

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yes, I am looking forward to meeting you both as well! :D

I think Little Fingers is one of the names given to the Indian eggplant I am referring to. When I bought the seeds for mine, they were not being sold by Territorial Seeds, but that has changed since then and that name sounds like the one Territorial sells. I should look it up!

You can eat the little green Thai eggplants raw???!!!!

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
OK, Territorial sells this eggplant that looks very similar to the ones I grow. The ones I grow are more tear-drop shaped though, but the skin color is similar.

I bought my seeds probably 5 years ago now from Rolling Bay Hay & Feed on Bainbridge Island. They were in this gimmicky tin container magnet and just labeled as "Indian Eggplant." They were also on sale, because the seeds were old. I took the gamble and it paid off.

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yes you can eat those little green and white ones raw I have never cooked them actually I just slice them and make this Vietnamese dip out of sardines, lime juice and jalepenos (it was one of those "what do I do with this" recipes ..

you slice them like crackers and use them for dips and spreads very good I think!

oh I love your eggplants very cute I am excited to try growing these

I adore eggplant curries ...well I just adore food lets be honest

I am off to go pick up a side of beef I accidently bought ...omg I am not sure what on earth I was thinking ...my boss talked me into it!!!

she said it was a tiny steer ..right ..

my friend and I who are sharing it have to bring two vehicles to bring our "tiny steer" we split back from Little Rock and we both had to buy new freezers!

Latest posts