The Any Wonderful Food You Made From Your Garden Today Thread!

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have very old seeds that still grow I think that by nature seeds will wait around for years and years waiting for the right conditions dont you?

ok off to get my beef

moo

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
HiDelight said:
she said it was a tiny steer ..right ..

my friend and I who are sharing it have to bring two vehicles to bring our "tiny steer" we split back from Little Rock and we both had to buy new freezers!
:gig Did you also get a fork lift to carry it from your vehicle to your new freezer? :gig

I love eggplant in anything! Especially in Thai green curry. Have you ever tried Eggplant Bharta? Not all Indian restaurants have it on the menu, but if you find one that does :drool . . . Raga used to . . . does that place still exist?

I will have to try some raw, as you suggest. Maybe with dip. :)

Yes, old seeds are always worth trying to grow.

big brown horse

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I used to grow eggplant as a house plant in a nice sunny window. It makes a beautiful house plant and I got to eat the eggplant too! I usually have a Chinese eggplant. I better add that to my tilth list too! I love eggplant!! :drool

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
There won't be any eggplants left after we hit that sale! LOL

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
You could have fried GREEN tomatoes!! :lol:
I love fried green tomatoes, but I think the tomatoes have to be bigger than a grape first. ;)

Oh, never mind, I'm talking about my tomatoes being the size of grapes . . . can you fry a cherry tomato, or would it just turn into something like a raisin/dried tomato? I don't know, I've never tried it.

GrowinVeggiesInSC

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
DrakeMaiden said:
big brown horse said:
You could have fried GREEN tomatoes!! :lol:
I love fried green tomatoes, but I think the tomatoes have to be bigger than a grape first. ;)

Oh, never mind, I'm talking about my tomatoes being the size of grapes . . . can you fry a cherry tomato, or would it just turn into something like a raisin/dried tomato? I don't know, I've never tried it.
I bet you could fry a cherry tomato if you tried. We didn't get any red tomatoes off our big plant last year (bugs and birds always got them first), so we just started picking them green - we had friend green tomatoes ALL. THE. TIME. We even took a big load up to Long Island, NY, when we went to see DH's family. I made fried green tomatoes for everyone up there!

I have cherry tomatoes galore on my plant right now, and the only one that turned red was eaten by a cutworm. D'oh! I have contemplated trying to fry them up - I am SO impatient!

big brown horse

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
wifezilla said:
Wait...you can grow egg plant as a house plant???

I have some Thai yellow eggplant seeds....hummmm
Yeah, I did. The leaves are so pretty! If you put it in a sunny window it should do fine. I was living in TX at the time. But here it is pretty hot and sunny in the west facing windows, so I am going to try it again. I am like a bumble bee nobody told me I couldn't so I did. I did get some nice eggplants off of that plant too.

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
You should fry some of them up! Report back with your results. :)

How aggravating to lose all your ripe tomatoes! I wonder if you could just start ripening them on your window sill (the ones that are just barely starting to change color). If you can't keep the bugs and birds out, it might be your best option.