The Carrot Rust Fly Never Forgets

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
OSU says commercial growers use diazinon soil drench. Oh Thanks!

That would mean plenty and the consumer must be content without knowing.

And, I have this pest, @heirloomgal but only here at home -- won't be carrying any bad carrots to the other garden, miles away. Carrots can grow fine in that other garden even in its rocky soil. Parsnips are so large that they are difficult to dig.

It is my neighbor's ground over (through) my back fence that has the carrot problem. I can't remember growing carrots in the 3 beds on my side of the fence. Someone had sandy soil brought in for his garden. I thought that would mean a good carrot location. It wasn't - lots of culls. I'm not sure if they were also in the parsnip, can only remember some very nice roots although they also had trouble growing straight once they grew beyond the top 5 or 6 inches and into rocky soil. Carrot flies obviously preferred the carrots.

Steve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score

all good information in there, but also liked this:

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I am thinking that they have laid eggs in the soil and the fly itself is the minor issue. I have a similar relationship with nematodes.
Yes, this is exactly it. The flies love to lay their eggs in the soil around the carrot so they have something to eat for breakfast when hatched. The fly fully grown doesn't actually hurt the carrot itself, it's worms that follow from the eggs that are a problem. Strangely, the wild plant that they feed on isn't especially prevalent in my area. It's around, but not much.

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
OSU says commercial growers use diazinon soil drench. Oh Thanks!

That would mean plenty and the consumer must be content without knowing.

And, I have this pest, @heirloomgal but only here at home -- won't be carrying any bad carrots to the other garden, miles away. Carrots can grow fine in that other garden even in its rocky soil. Parsnips are so large that they are difficult to dig.

It is my neighbor's ground over (through) my back fence that has the carrot problem. I can't remember growing carrots in the 3 beds on my side of the fence. Someone had sandy soil brought in for his garden. I thought that would mean a good carrot location. It wasn't - lots of culls. I'm not sure if they were also in the parsnip, can only remember some very nice roots although they also had trouble growing straight once they grew beyond the top 5 or 6 inches and into rocky soil. Carrot flies obviously preferred the carrots.

Steve
You have this pest? Phew, now I don't feel so bad. I've not yet encountered a single person who has this problem. I'm sorry that you do of course, but suddenly I don't feel like the only carrot-challenged individual in existence.

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
all good information in there, but also liked this:

Have you grown any of those antho tomatoes @flowerbug?

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Have you grown any of those antho tomatoes @flowerbug?

no, we're very stuck in our ways here (i should say Mom is :) ). i'd give them a try if i could get some. not likely it's going to happen though... Momma just wants certain things and no messing around with the rest. hehe. she's so funny.

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
no, we're very stuck in our ways here (i should say Mom is :) ). i'd give them a try if i could get some. not likely it's going to happen though... Momma just wants certain things and no messing around with the rest. hehe. she's so funny.
I am a bit of a blue tomato addict, well, I went through a phase, and collected quite a few in the last years. I can send you some @flowerbug, they are seriously very cool. There truly is nothing like them in the tomato world. Indigo Rose, as per your article above, is the first one I collected. Now, this one is my new favourite for looks, 'Black Beauty' -

1618442828698.png

but for taste this is the one, 'Cosmic Eclipse' -
1618442884098.png

Last edited:

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am a bit of a blue tomato addict, well, I went through a phase, and collected quite a few in the last years. I can send you some @flowerbug, they are seriously very cool. There truly is nothing like them in the tomato world. Indigo Rose, as per your article above, is the first one I collected. Now, this one is my new favourite for looks, 'Black Beauty' -

View attachment 40133
but for taste this is the one, 'Cosmic Eclipse' -
View attachment 40134

those look interesting and worth trying sometime, but i'll have to pass, but thank you for the offer. :)

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I think there are solutions:
1) row covers---bite the bullet and buy them!
2) IF YOU CAN BURN ON YOUR PROPERTY, mix in straw or paper in the beds before planting and burn the soil
IF NOT
3) lay down cardboard and put in fresh soil for ANYWHERE else, maybe purchase it, and plant your carrots in that, then ROW COVERS
I agree with @Dirtmechanic , you have them in your soil, JUST LIKE I have squash bugs in MY soil.
Avoid pesticides, bc they will kill insects that eat the carrot fly, like :
Try pots OVER 18 inches high. Look for those cheapy stryofoam pots from Mexico, that look like that can hold a small tree.
MY problem with carrots is creating soil that won't compact, so that they won't fork. Otherwise, I have grown them with a limited amount of success.
Also, try planting garlic next to and in between your rows. FILL the space in between the carrots with smelly flowers. Apparently smells confuse the female carrot fly.
Should help with weeds, too.

Latest posts