The Community Garden Project - The Easy Garden Community WEIGHS In!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
bodyflight said:
hmmm.. what happened??

well..

I did get outside & got started outlining my plan.
I spent well over an hour making it into my TEG personal page and it failed.. I was heartbroken.

So .. I spent another hour doing it on my own web page then I had an idea so I could lay out each plant.. check it out here: http://www.dawnonthefarm.com/gardens.html

Scroll on down about halfway to see this years plan.
Now that is a serious plan!!! I wish you all the luck, it looks very well put together, thought out, and should be very productive for the space.

I really like the idea that it is a kid free zone!!! :)

lupinfarm

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I've been told I need to join in ;)

We're on 8.38 acres with horses, goats, chickens, and ducks so I have lots of free manure. A lot of the wood I've been using for my raised beds is actually meant for a run-in shelter for one of my horses but the snow and nasty winter weather put a stop to that, so I've been using some of the rafters to make my raised beds lol.

I'm looking to have to buy another 10 or so 2x6s at around $5/piece.

I bought 2 bags of peat moss = $10/each
6 bags of composted manure (3-way and cow) = $2.48/bag
Bag of vermiculite = $22.00/bag

spent about $40.00 total on seeds this year, and I still have to buy onion sets, potatoes, buckets, and some tote boxes for my onions. Plus fence in the garden, and buy some more apple trees..

I'll put together a spreadsheet eventually.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Just bring this back up after doing some research today. Lots of good stuff out there growing already. I bet many of you have had harvests to weight by now. ;)

ETA: Hi Lupin! You beat me to it! LOL
I just added the brand new spreadsheet to the front page. I have a fresh copy of it, as my first radishes are almost ready! How exciting! I will be able to add my first entry that isn't a cost to me!!! :weee

lupinfarm

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I can't wait to have something to show. I have pickling cucumber plants sprouting upstairs, unfortunately the cat ate the potted blueberry bush and its now dying slowly. He has a ... green tooth? He likes to eat all and any vegetation, he even killed the cat grass and catnip.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
lupinfarm said:
I can't wait to have something to show. I have pickling cucumber plants sprouting upstairs, unfortunately the cat ate the potted blueberry bush and its now dying slowly. He has a ... green tooth? He likes to eat all and any vegetation, he even killed the cat grass and catnip.
LOL....

My cat just likes to go potty on my plants. She killed several spinach sprouts today, and even killed a blueberry cane I planted a couple of days ago. Hubby chased her out of the freshly planted fennel bed. I think she has it out for my garden this year. :/

DawnSuiter

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
OMG.. I missed you guys! I had to be offline for almost 2 weeks cuz my satellite was down!! I did so many things in the garden with all that time! I didn't know what to do with my grape bush that arrived during my internet black out... so I hope I did good.

I spent another $88 on fencing type supplies and have a whole new garden area sectioned off from the dogs and most all the chickens so they can't harm my growing plants.

I don't have anything growing yet really.. waiting on some lettuce/spinach/carrots/radish to sprout and just getting to preplanting seeds in little pots for late april!! But tons have been done otherwise, including adding a sink to the garden and I can't wait to get everything online all updated.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Wow... I can tell you grapes should be super productive once they get rolling! I would say good investment. :D

I can't wait to see what comes of it all.... especially when your area is protected from the animals. You just don't know how destructive the cat and ducks have been here lately! ARGH!!!! :he

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
It looks like we will be having more people now involved from BYC and from my blog! :D

I'm hoping information gathered will really give each one of us an idea of cost and return.

And of course the amazing feeling of accomplishment. :rainbow-sun

DawnSuiter

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
$22 more on 25 new sparkle supreme strawberry plants to replace my 3rd year berries and a heritage blueberry.

Ok... it's a mess because we just moved 3 chicken coops from this space, but here is the new sectioned area of the front. There is lots of space in here.. can't wait to post a pic in a few weeks when it's all cleaned up and planted nicely.

Step 1 - Sink in place - blue drum placed for grapes
100_3834.JPG

Stage 2 - Coops moved, sink area being created and a fence line installed. This sink will be GREAT and will flow into the square gardens behind it.
100_3849.JPG

Stage 3 - Grape layered into this 55 gallon drum
100_3853.JPG

A photo from the other end of today... we added several areas which are hard to see I suppose in this pic but here is the whole space anyway
2010FrontGardenPanorama800.jpg

Raspberries got a new bed today.... one of them is new. They are in mounds right now or hills and we will fill in the rest of the rectangle with fill dirt next Monday or Tuesday. There is an apple tree here too. The cardboard boxes will be filled & planted too... the dell box is for a watermelon & a cantelope. The long box is probably going to be some onions.
100_3892.JPG

Moved my blueberry that wasn't doing well to a raised tire bed and made room next to it for another blueberry. The board there is marking the end of the corn rows & showing us where the path will be.
100_3890.JPG

Our new gravity inversion table came in these boxes here... we are filling them up and will plant the new strawberries here I think instead of radishes & lettuces. It's a fair bit sunny here for them I think maybe.
100_3891.JPG

and here is the back garden... fenced with scraps and stuff. the pool ladder will hopefully help my winter squash grow up nice & tall. The blue barrel is for the reservoir aqueduct system I hope to finish this year.
100_3836.JPG

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
seedcorn said:
It will be interesting to read the responses but a couple of quick questions.

1) Why aren't you figuring in fixed costs (equipment, land, etc) as they are part of the costs of gardening.

I could see figuring in the cost of the land if you purchased the land just for gardening. How to separate land cost for living, running livestock, etc. from the actual purchase price of your garden plot? Not really feasible or relevant for this kind of project. I have to pay to live here anyway, why not plow up the yard and sink a few seeds to defray the cost?

The TroyBilt that my dad purchased 30 years ago has probably paid for itself and any and all repairs many years ago. The savings in food costs the very first year I ever gardened paid for the whole cost of a new tiller. Every year after that, I garden for the price of fuel...not much.

2) Are you going to figure in a labor charge? If labor is free, I'll be posting where and when to show up for work here. Thanks in advance for the free labor. :lol: I'd love to see how much time each person spends in their garden working in it. Drinking coffee on a Saturday morning admiring your work counts as break time or could figure in the value of not having to go somewhere to pay admittance to a nature preserve or aboreatum (my spelling is horrible).

As the physical labor increases my cardiac output, thereby improving my circulation, lowering my blood pressure, increases endorphins that consequently elevate my mood and helps me cope with every day stressors.....let me see.....how does one calculate in the savings on better physical and mental health, not to mention better interpersonal relationships with one's family, neighbors and co-workers? Less trips to the doctor, less money spent on meds, less time spent with a therapist and/or family counselor, better job performance, no money spent on gym memberships......gee, I think the savings are enormous compared to a little labor charge, don't you? ;)

Now....to calculate the savings on health costs defrayed by eating homegrown, organic veggies and fruits...hmmmmmmm....... :bee

If I just use seed, plants, fertilizer costs, my garden is a financial gold mine. I run a 60' X 40' garden and a 30' X 30' sweet corn patch. My sweet corn patch is very unreliable because of wild life. Some years they get all of it--or seems that way. I guess I could shoot them and try and convince my wife that eating raccoon, skunk, opossums, etc are good eats. God forbid that I should shoot bambi when they are in sweet corn patch. :cool: So if I convince my family that eating raccoon is good, what is the value of a lb. of raccoon?
ETA: BTW, I'm in! Just need to find a reliable scale for weighing all yields....

Latest posts