The Community Garden Project - The Easy Garden Community WEIGHS In!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
ETA: BTW, I'm in! Just need to find a reliable scale for weighing all yields....
I found a great scale at kohl's for small time, but I did find an antique one that worked at a thiftshop!

You'd be amazed what you can find in those places. :D

If you ended up having to use a bathroom scale, that is fine too... we don't have to do exacts, close is good. If you know you have 3lb and a few ounces, you can round up or down as you see fit.

Seedcorn seems to plant for profit, large scale so he may need to actually follow that information for his business. Like you said, this is a project proving we've getting additional value from our homes. Since most of us bought our property to live on, and we just allowed a garden to work its way on. However, ANY records you guys think is important.... PLEASE keep track... we are all as different as gardeners can be. And I love that! :D

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'll be searching for a hanging scale.....am wondering if one could utilize a cheap fishing scale attached to a bushel basket? This is doable..... :)

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
I'll be searching for a hanging scale.....am wondering if one could utilize a cheap fishing scale attached to a bushel basket? This is doable..... :)
That would be so perfect!

My plant is to set up the scale outside in the garden in the table my husband is building me. A little garden table made out of the left overs of cutting down a tree. We even found a double sink in a dumpster is great condition to add to the table, and then a spot to hang my hose like a faucet, and a spot to hand a scale.

That way I can wash and weigh my produce right out in the garden and load them all in a cooler to bring in the house when I'm done.

The simplest of ideas are AMAZING.

In fact, my husband fishes our pond all the time, I bet we have a few fish scales out in the storage closet where his tackle is. I could steal one and he'd never know. :weee

4grandbabies

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
wifezilla said:
Here is the link. I haven't entered formulas in it yet. Hubby has to do that for me :p
http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AtnLvCx3SmtUdEQ4ZUFaN01kSVpjbVNvUFAwUTdUbGc&hl=en
Wifezilla, I noticed on your chart that you listed mushroom compost.. maybe I have overlooked a link, but does it have a special advantage over other types? I noticed it in Lowes today,but I picked up sorgum peat, and gypsum (peat to go in the raised bed) and gypsum for the clay soin that wont get a bed this year.

DawnSuiter

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Hello.. I'm up to $168.00 now in garden expenses for 2010.

I think BUT AN NOT CERTAIN that mushroom compost is just compost that hasn't come from an animals hind end ;) and so is a personal preference to those who don't want to involve animals in their garden spaces.

Here, our landscaping center doesn't carry any other type of compost so it wouldn't for me be a preference for not involving animals but more of that's all I can find locally. Lowe's does of course offer a different variety, but not the other place. Top Soil, Mulch, or Mushroom Compost is all they peddle.

DawnSuiter

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Things are coming along nicely! Sprouts everywhere, great weather! I got my herb garden in yesterday but didn't go with the solar shower... DH promised to get the real one hooked up again for me out there. So I used the entire space for herbs 2' wide X 16' long X 1.5' deep. I had some OLD rosemary, a 2nd year sage & oregano... and then some sprouts for the rest of the herbs and then I sprinkled seeds where it was a little thin...

and in between the plantings I fit in some baby spinach and at the end where rosemary will grow into I snuck in 2 rows of multicolored carrots. :)

I had to make some adjustments to my front box garden and now it's smaller :( but overall the yard is better as I now have a real walking path to get through to the other gardens. So now I'm on the quest to make up the space I lost there, somewhere else.

Latest posts