The Little Easy Bean Network - Get New Beans Varieties Nearly Free

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Are we not going to worry about the slight possibility that Russ's beans may cross with some of ours? It wouldn't make any difference to our home garden beans, I don't think, but what's the possibility that it could mess with the purity of the heritage strain we are trying to save?

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Short answer. Very small. If it happens, it'd be to one or 2 beans total. Not to worry about crossing. Actually, it'd be alright if 1 or two beans crossed.

I think an earlier post in this thread has Russ's discussion of it. Maybe it was the other thread, I forgot to check.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
i'll give a few a shot. how about Maine Sunset, Black Nightfall, Milk and Cider, and Scarlet Beauty. there are too many pretty colored beans on your website! :p

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hi Everyone !

So happy to learn the seeds are arriving at everyone's house just fine. Hope we will all have great growing weather this year.

Hey Chickie'sMoma !

Do you want me to send you those bean choices in your post? If so send me a personal message and give me your address and I'll get the seeds out to you soon.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Russ, my beans arrived safely the other day. I am tickled pink. Thank you! :happy_flower

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
So happy that everyone likes their beans. It will be a fun summer for sure. I just got done drawing up my bean planting diagram yesterday and there will be 144 varieties growing in my garden this year. 104 bush beans and 40 pole varieties.

Marshall your Nova Star will be among the pole beans I'll grow this year. It will be so fun to watch it grow. Have you found the bean to be true breeding every year, or could some surprises still pop up?

Tomorrow I'm going to start taking photos of all the new beans I got this winter. Then I'll put them up on my website. A bunch of new ones from Germany and Austria. It will probably take me all day to update the website. I'm going to make the pages a couple of lines of bean photos shorter and increase the number of pages from 4 to 6. Should make the pages load faster.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Russ, 2012 garden season was the first year Nova Star showed up. There was also another plant among the Sallee/Dunahoo family White Greasy 2nd generation grow out for me that was overwhelmed some by the White Greasies. That particular plant made nice looking pods with Bean seeds similar to Nova Star except with a pale brown splash instead of light black. I can best guess that Hutterite was the pollen parent for both of them. My Hutterite Beans are what I call Quarter Runner, so I guess Hutterite carries some gene for pole. Pretty darn sure Nova Star's mother is Mayflower. Guessing the father is Hutterite.

That other one that was among the Sallee/Dunnahoo White Greasy of my 2nd year growing them, I am thinking of calling Powder Star. Hutterite father, White Greasy mother. I only have a few seeds of these and will be planting them soon. Probably around August or September I'll mail you some of them.

When you have the chance to try to sort through the mixes I sent to you, take some photos and I'll let you know what they are.

When I was going through my Beans deciding what to plant I saw several other very special ones to send you.

Ever hear of a red seeded borlotti podded bush bean? These appeared among my Burgundy Bolitas bush. I'll ask an Italian friend how to say red seeded borlotti bush bean in italian and call it that. When I have more of these, should be a good number of them, in August or September I'll get you those too.

Oh yes. Your listed variety Peta Luma Gold, I have that variety. Very slow ripening pods. They are an heirloom from a town not far from here called Petaluma.

It's possible Nova Star may still be segregating some. If so, there may be a small number of Hutterite type Bush growth among them. Watch for some if they happen, with a subtle red splash on them.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Russ, I planted my beans on 4-17. A watched pot never boils..........but if I stare at dirt long enough, will it make them come up faster? :lol:

Latest posts