The Little Easy Bean Network - Get New Beans Varieties Nearly Free

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Over here my season is starting so early that I don't want to jump the gun, so it's try to be patient mode, may as well do more preparing. I already have the late season blue gold and night stars and the other late ones planted from the flat to the ground.

I did go ahead and put in some Nova Stars and 10 red seeded borlotti bush that I have a few more seeds to reseed in case the soil is too chilly. The Powder Star that I only have a few seeds of will wait another week or so as will most of the others. It feels like the most critically important garden I've ever had this year to me.

Bay, you mean they have not yet sprouted in 2 days??? :barnie

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Marshall, I got some of the Petaluma Goldrush from Russ to plant. I'm hoping after tonight, there will not be any more frost forcasted for the next week. SURELY after that, it will be safe to plant tender stuff. :/

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hey Beymule you beans should be greeting the world about the middle of next week 24th or 25th.

Would you believe we have a dusting of snow on the ground as the sun comes up this morning in northern Illinois. I don't think I've ever seen this in my life this late in the year.
Then again I never saw the March we had last year. I guess mother nature is just evening things out. Balancing the ledger sheets. Last year we had nearly a rainless spring, and this month so far we've had nearly 7 inches of rain. I am certainly glad for that. It will help charge up the subsoil with moisture.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ya know, that might be it. A Sallee family member sent me some of her grandparent's White Greasy Beans a few years ago and they already seemed crossed up, as though that was one of the characteristics of their bean variety.

I wonder if some varieties simply produce more pollen than others that the bumblebees and the other assorted wild bees can get to.

Here we are having the earliest spring I ever saw. Even earlier than other places in the lake basin. With the lake having more than the usual water in it this winter I guess it made a microclimate at my place.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bluejay-MORE SNOW?? Will it EVER stop for ya'll?? I used go to the freezer to look at the frost (imitation snow) but my old freezer died and the new one is frost free. :lol:

I can't wait for my beans to come up! I planted them in pots so I could safeguard them against garden nasties-cutworms, snails, slugs......... Then I will transplant them to the garden. Besides, the spot where I want to plant them has potatoes growing there now. But the potatoes are starting to bloom, so harvest time is not far off.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well snow on Saturday and yesterday the 22nd of April it was 66 degrees here and I was out roto-tilling the bean patch. Maybe spring is here after all.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
I planted about half the seeds in each of the 8 packets so far Russ. I'll plant the rest of each packet at different places in about a week, but will save off about 5 seeds of each.

These are SO unique!

Chickasaw, basically pea green with a soft shade of red eye.
Piros Feher, nice sized plump white and the coolest red dots.
Dalmatian! Brown and red splashed on white.
Buckskin Girl, small white with an undertone of black with a black eye like a cowpea.
PXBT, small, several shades of white that shades to a greenish brown taupe, flecked.
Little Brown Cat, very small bolitas, buff white with light brown eyes.
Vermont Appaloosa, rice bean type, white with 2 shades of brown!
Dapple Grey, so cool! White with prominent light brown plus light brown dots.

They came really well packaged! That kind of reusable box that has the slip in tabs on the front to close. The packets are well designed and made too, with clear plastic on the front to see the beans, the description and source reference, and I'm probably missing describing other special packing things...heat sealed, and the box had that reusable sheet styrofoam in it to keep the seeds from jostling around too much.

I'm just on kind of a lunch break. Got to get back to my garden!

It's nice to look out there and see warm sun basking on 95 percent of the garden right now.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
heh, mine had bubble warp in it! how fun! :lol: i got the dapple grey too! wish i could get mine in the ground right now but we're still in this miserable cold spell during the nights and occasional dreary cold days.

Latest posts