The Little Easy Bean Network - Get New Beans Varieties Nearly Free

Hal

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
There was snow fall recently about two hours away from where I live, mind you it is summer here. That night it got to about 5 or 6 degrees celsius where I live
This growing season is an unusual one. Looks like I my Staley's Surprise beans will flower soon!

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hey Ridgerunner !

No I did not get any Black eyed peas with the African collection of beans. I did get a few Hyacinth varieties though.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks, Russs but Ill pass on the "may be toxic, change boiling water a few times" hyacinths. Sounds like they'd be good for decoration though but morning glories are the only vining plant I grow for that.

I still plan on a few out of your African collection when you get them ready.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
We got a full 6 to 8 inches of snow here. Branches falling. One fell on the bathouse last night but luckily did no damage.

This'll be the kind of day i'll be in and out the cabin doing chores. I'll get some more packages ready today.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have noticed that on the CIAT site they sometimes use the SAME photo for two different varieties.

Looking at varieties named CANARIO that are BUSH, under VULGARIS

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
This is the link to the MATERIAL TRANSFER AGREEMENT OUTLINE that is for the multinational organisations that are involved with distributing the seeds to various kinds of receivers of the seeds.

Yes, it looks complex, but it's all a U.N. thing that got lots of countries together for this to be possible. I don't understand all of it of course.

I sure hope someone does who can translate it into what to do step by step, because apparently a slight mistake on the form will get you a polite "maybe later" response.

http://isa.ciat.cgiar.org/urg/urgweb_folder/files/SMTA/SMTA_en.pdf

(I had to zoom in to 175% to read these pdf's)

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
It is not clear to me yet what the limit is to the number of accessions an individual can order, but I think it is 5 (?), and packets of 20 seeds.

Hey guys, if it is such a small limit, I kind of think we should all make sure we request DIFFERENT accessions. Reason being, by each having different accessions, growing them, and trading some of what we grow out with each other, it will add up to each of us getting a lot more kinds.

Just a suggestion. And, add to that, if we can get more folks ordering some up, that adds up to even more kinds.

We can truly bring more diversity to the world this way.
We can also help them to know how these varieties grow and produce under different conditions.

I do hope that someone smarter than myself can truly understand how the request process works, and all the subtle nuances of it. I don't blame them at all for the detailed and specific contract of this, just hoping for some good understanding of it.

Hal

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
marshallsmyth said:
It is not clear to me yet what the limit is to the number of accessions an individual can order, but I think it is 5 (?), and packets of 20 seeds.

Hey guys, if it is such a small limit, I kind of think we should all make sure we request DIFFERENT accessions. Reason being, by each having different accessions, growing them, and trading some of what we grow out with each other, it will add up to each of us getting a lot more kinds.

Just a suggestion. And, add to that, if we can get more folks ordering some up, that adds up to even more kinds.

We can truly bring more diversity to the world this way.
We can also help them to know how these varieties grow and produce under different conditions.

I do hope that someone smarter than myself can truly understand how the request process works, and all the subtle nuances of it. I don't blame them at all for the detailed and specific contract of this, just hoping for some good understanding of it.
Marshall give yourself more credit, you have pretty much got it.
I am certain it is five per person, unless say we have someone working for one of the other categories eligible for more potential accessions.
I notice other universities and germplasm banks can request up to 250 accessions and more if they really need it as long as it is split into two.
I have been thinking the same thing along the lines of making most of accessions by eliminating double ups.
My feeling is that we should treat this as a serious undertaking and look for potential ways to make the best of this as possible of which you already stated one and that was coordinating accessions to avoid double ups so that there is a bigger pool of unique accessions.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Has anyone figured out yet what is the exact procedure for requesting and receiving beans accessions from CIAT. I think we each need to apply for an import license from the USDA. Correct me if I'm wrong. I think there is a form you can print out on the CIAT site. Fill it out and mail it to them. I believe the reasons for requesting seeds from them that they want to here from an individual would be beans for growing for food and sharing seed with other gardeners. Does that sound correct?

I wonder if CIAT would like or could take variety donations from anyone of us.

Latest posts