The Little Easy Bean Network - Get New Beans Varieties Nearly Free

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
:) Hay Seed Obsesser! You got an avatar! Tell us about that rooster! :)

Just got a visual of a rooster with an eye patch. Saw part of an old movie last week with Katherine Hepburn in it along with some gnarly ole cowboy wearing an eye patch name'a Rooster.
:caf

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We accidentally hatched that rooster under a batch of Muscovie ducks! We had to hand raise him indoors cause he was the only chicken. Wouldn't shut up at night unless you were holding him! He is a cross between a Barred Plymouth Rock and a Black Copper Maran. Now he is much more feathered out and even bigger than his Copper Maran daddy. (Probably has more growing to do yet) Well, daddy has been digested down to nothing by now!:rolleyes:

We were hoping that he'd be a hen, but he turned out to be a rooster. We named him Peep (That name isn't exactly fitting anymore.). At first he kind of hung out with the ducks but gradually started to stick to his own kind. We were thinking of renaming him Chuck (chicken-duck). The Copper Marans name was Buck. I was thinking about seeing if I can get a better picture of Peep later. (Chuck? Cheep?) :D

the1honeycomb

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
TheSeedObsesser said:
We accidentally hatched that rooster under a batch of Muscovie ducks! We had to hand raise him indoors cause he was the only chicken. Wouldn't shut up at night unless you were holding him! He is a cross between a Barred Plymouth Rock and a Black Copper Maran. Now he is much more feathered out and even bigger than his Copper Maran daddy. (Probably has more growing to do yet) Well, daddy has been digested down to nothing by now!:rolleyes:

We were hoping that he'd be a hen, but he turned out to be a rooster. We named him Peep (That name isn't exactly fitting anymore.). At first he kind of hung out with the ducks but gradually started to stick to his own kind. We were thinking of renaming him Chuck (chicken-duck). The Copper Marans name was Buck. I was thinking about seeing if I can get a better picture of Peep later. (Chuck? Cheep?) :D
LOL I love Both roosters! it is great when you have a personal story for a pet!!! And THE Rooster with the eye patch!!:love :bow a classic!

I like Chuck perfect for his situation!

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Russ, I got the main part of the beans packed into a box now. Since it'll be a few days before I go to town I'll find some more seeds to put in, things like selections I'm working on, oh, and purple SEEDED golden podded peas that are selecting more and more true for purple seeds each year.

Some little tiny gaspe flint corn that might get knee high and starts making dry pods seed to seed in 60 days and is done by 90 days. Gaspe cobs are finger long. Some japonica striped maize that'll look nice in a flower bed and make nice purple glossy cobs of flint corn 6 to 8 inches in 90 to 120 days seed to seed.

=====

Next seed packings, gotta figure it all out.
Journey
Thistle
Seed Obsesser
and i know i'm forgetting 3 or 4 others...forgive me for i need another cup of coffee :p
CaneSisters
oh, yea, and
Monty ...still forgetting some others
oh yea, and Hal

and so lucky and BJ oughta get some too

Maybe even Digit. Looks like Digit has a super productive selection of soldier that does well in his northern clime...gotta butter up digit to get him trading! hmmm something super quick, Maybe dow purple pod for snap and louisiana red, and burgundy kidneys?

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Marshall, dont take it personal but Im going to snub you. Im going to wait until Russ posts his African collection and pick a pole and two bush.

Ill have to think about that. If I put the pole beans on that south fence and they are distinct I could handle 2 varieties. Bush beans dont take up that much room and Im cutting back on tomatoes and probably peppers this year anyway. So yeah, I have to think about that. But definitely from the African collection.

Russ, do you have any black eyed peas in that African collection? Preferably bush but if I had to I could handle another pole.

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Honeycomb, Thanks, Cheep-Peep-Chuck likes you too. :)

Most of our pets don't last a long time though, especially if Ma and my sister don't like them. Oh well, they taste good! :drool

Marshall, go ahead and take as long as you need with mine. We usually go through periods of crazy power - shopping then won't be out for weeks. We were supposed to go out today, that didn't happen - yet. Here's a list of the legumes I have just in case there's a variety that you don't have --

Lina Sisco's Bird Egg
Bumblebee
Hidatsa Shield Figure
Dragon Tongue
Jacob's Cattle
Jacob's Cattle Gold
Snowcap
Eye of the Goat
Hutterite
Black Valentine
Sunset (Runner)
Canellini (White Runner, different from common store bought bean)
Grey Speckled Palapye (southern pea)
Black Kabouli (Garbanzo)
Christmas Lima
Blue Podded Pea
Golden Sweet Pea

I also have others but not enough to share. Also leftover seeds for--

Crystal Apple Cuke
Fish Pepper
Black Trifele Tomato

I figure since your in California I might as well fill the package up!

P.S. If you let the two types of runners grow together I think that white colored seeds are dominant to colored seed, and that colored flowers are dominant to white flowers. :)

P.S.S Your in zone 8? I'm sure that there's a coffee cultivar out there that's zone 8 hardy...

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Howdy seedobsesser, Thank you!

your bumblebee would be a good one to have about 5 or 10 seeds of and 5 seeds of the scarlet runner too. meant to say sunset...

You sure you don't want any purple seeded golden pod pea seeds? I've been selecting for purple seeds a few years now. Last year one plant of 10 made almost all its seeds purple...inside those bright yellow pods, a couple plants made over 3 fourths of their seeds purple, and all but one plant made at least some. Each plant got its seeds saved separately. I can mail them to, i don't know, your biggest meanest friend, LOL!, or something if you're worried about an internet person. (I don't blame anyone there!) I'm just an outa shape ole guy with thyroid and eye problems, lol...

pm me and i'll send you my address

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
No problemo! Bumblebee and Sunset runner, you sure that's all you want?

Those yellow-podded purple-seeded peas sound interesting, I'll take some! Sending PM...

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Got the pm SeedObsesser. I'll put it together tomorrow, and the one to Digit too, and while doing that, I'll get the final packets put into the box for Russ.

Then I'll have those together...barring unforeseen circumstances... then I'll start thinking about the other ones to send.

I've been doing practically all beans the past few years, so I want to cycle through some of my other seeds before they get too old.

After I get the boxes put together then it's a matter of getting to town to mail them out.

And not letting myself procrastinate too much, lol!

Got a pretty good snow happening here! This'll be my first snow with my Subaru, but I'll still wait until the "Dirty 13" as some call the 11.7 miles of dirt canyon road has been driven a few times. That way I can see where their slip and slide marks are.

2 inches so far today. Just heard a glomp of snow fall from a tree to my roof and checked it. It's ok, just snow.

Latest posts