The Little Easy Bean Network - Get New Beans Varieties Nearly Free

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have to get to packing envelopes of seeds. I keep putting that off and don't feel right until I get that done.

I guess I'm part procrastinator, but I feel wrong when I procrastinate.

Soon as the Supertramp tune I have on the computer is over I'm packing seeds.

Thank you seed obsessor, but only about 5 seeds. Next year's bean garden is only going to have one small area of Pole beans.

I'll be having so many varieties that it will only be 3 to 5 plants of each variety.

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Marshall, do you do southern peas? Or Garbanzos? I can send a few of those too, if you want.

Black Kabouli Garbanzo - Haven't grown these yet. Heirloom from Afghanistan.

Grey- Speckled Palapye crowder pea - Vining type. Peas are of a fairly good size. Brown-Grey speckles with white helium. It's a crowder pea so it's kind of like a cut-short type, you probably know that though. Heirloom from Botswana if I remember correctly.

Bluejay, you seem to have all limas and common beans on your website. If you also want some I wouldn't mind sending some seed your way.

-- Edited to add extra information.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
well, i sat and read through their 'contract' last night for something to help me sleep. seems you can get seeds for free but of course there are stipulations. 1) they are for research, personal use, and i can't remember the 3rd part. 2) you aren't supposed to be using them for commercial growing reasons or you have to pay a 1.1% 'fee' back to them. 3) if you are using them for breeding they want some of those new seeds sent back to add to their collection. 4) if you do have extra seeds they would prefer you pass them on to others for personal use in their own garden.

you will also need to get an importation certificate from the Dept of Agriculture before they will ship them out to other countries.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Chickie'sMomaInNH said:
well, i sat and read through their 'contract' last night for something to help me sleep. seems you can get seeds for free but of course there are stipulations. 1) they are for research, personal use, and i can't remember the 3rd part. 2) you aren't supposed to be using them for commercial growing reasons or you have to pay a 1.1% 'fee' back to them. 3) if you are using them for breeding they want some of those new seeds sent back to add to their collection. 4) if you do have extra seeds they would prefer you pass them on to others for personal use in their own garden.

you will also need to get an importation certificate from the Dept of Agriculture before they will ship them out to other countries.
Sounds reasonable to me.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Russ,
I'm a good way into packing the box of bean seeds I'm mailing to you. It has packets of almost all the varieties I have except the ones I know you already have. 3 of the Nova Star next generation selections are in it including the black seeded ones and the white seeded ones. Don't worry, none of these packets are mixed this year. In fact, right now I just opened my second box of envelopes, lol!

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Marshall !

Email me your wish list including anything from the new outcrosses photos I posted. We will trade Merry Christmas bean packages. I won't guarantee Santa will fill your list completely, but I'm sure he'll try.

I also put up 11 more new photos of beans on the website. A fellow by the name of Joesph Simcox (The Botanical Explorer) came and visited me about two weeks ago. We traded some beans. I think he sent me about 28 varieties. The 11 new ones on the website are from the ones Joeseph sent.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Marshall !

Email me your wish list including anything from the new outcrosses photos I posted. We will trade Merry Christmas bean packages. I won't guarantee Santa will fill your list completely, but I'm sure he'll try.

I also put up 11 more new photos of beans on the website. A fellow by the name of Joesph Simcox (The Botanical Explorer) came and visited me about two weeks ago. We traded some beans. I think he sent me about 28 varieties. The 11 new ones on the website are from the ones Joeseph sent.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
I know who Joseph Simcox is! He's the SEED ZOO guy who works for Richter's Seeds! Gets to travel all over the world collecting seeds from places like local bazzars in Madagascar and Azerbaijan.

Can you let him know that when I lived in Dillon Montana there was a young couple from Uzbekhistan who are both professors at the University there, and they told me that in the countryside of Uzbekhistan they grow what they described as watermelon sized Cantaloupes, huge and delicious.

I'll get back to the seed packing project soon as my coffee kicks in. I'm about halfway through it. I got the main group of what I had in my garden this year. Next group to pack are the Powder Stars and the outcrosses from among the Chickasaw, Dalmatian, and possibly Buckskin Girl. (The Chickasaw surprised me and grew as half runners so I poled them late but meantime vined into their neighbors some, and that was where the outcrosses happened. Pretty sure about the Dalmatian outcrosses, and I think the others are Chickasaw outcrosses.) After that group will be the beans I did not grow this year. Cycling through my varieties. 2014 will practically be all new varieties. I did get low productivity on the Chickasaws so they will go in again.

Then I'll begin the wish list. Do let me know which ones need increasing the most and I'll put in more than 5 plants of those in several patches.

Latest posts