The Little Easy Bean Network - Get New Beans Varieties Nearly Free

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hi Marshall! :frow Can you see me? I am looking right at you! Pretty lake, even if it is getting dry, hope it fills up soon for you! That is a beautiful place, no wonder you love it so much.

the1honeycomb

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hey guys long time since I've been on hoping the winter isn't freezing anyone too bad!!! how did the bean swap go? BlueJay are you doing it again for
next year?? Hope everyone had a wonderful harvest

the1honeycomb

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Baymule!!! nice to see you got busy with some projects and almost forgot how to use the puter!!!!!
Garden plans are coming along, have sweet potatoes in the living room!
How are things in your neck of the woods??

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hey Bay,

The seeds you sent arrived yesterday. Took a little while. They might have got stuck in a snow drift for a bit. They were very nice seed considering what your climate dishes out to them. Definitely looking forward to having you back in the network again this coming season.

I'm just wondering if everyone plants there seed close together. For growing seed I think about 7 or 8 inch spacing helps the plants develop better and they grow larger more robust seed. Gives a little more air space between plants for drying also. If any one has planted their seed close together try the wider spacing next time and see what happens.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I always sow my production beans too close and thin them out. I always have more seeds than I need anyway and am always nervous about germination. I probably shouldn’t be. Usually they all come up in one area or none come up and leave me gaps in the row anyway.

I generally thin my bush beans to something close to that spacing, but my pole beans are probably going to be thinned closer to 10” to 12”. That’s Blue Lake bush and Blue Lake pole.

With your seeds I will not plant them so close and plan to thin. If I happen to get poor germination and leave some extra spacing, well, it’s a good life if you don’t weaken. I’ll get over it.

Latest posts