The Little Easy Bean Network - Get New Beans Varieties Nearly Free

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I sow mine about 8-10" and if it's a variety that I have a lot of, then I will put 2 or 3 to a hole and thin for the best one.

Hal

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I space mine out as far as possible to reduce competition for moisture, nutrients and sunlight and also for better air flow so that I ended up with lots of pods and good sized seeds.
I prefer to not have my plants touching, only exception is when I grow my two plants of each in containers.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score

You are really only a very few miles from where my girlfriend lives! Hayley lives in the next town south of you, about 10 miles south, in Penrith.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hal

Idiggardening

Garden lurker
Reaction score
Hi BluJay77
I live in Central Fla. and I would love to participate in this years bean network. I am currently going through cat's and getting my veggie patch planned out and started. I'll take a look at your website!! Thank you for your hard work in this endeavor!!

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Howdy Idiggardening! :frow

Welcome to our friendly forum. Hang on to your login stuff. I really like Bluejay's little bean network. It's a revival of sorts of the Wanigan Associates that he was an original member of. We are really getting things going on here!

Here's to a great garden season! Oh, I bet it's just about starting already for you down there in Florida!

I have some very few seeds left of some pole varieties of Beans that take a longer season than I can possibly provide, and they are needing a better place to grow. They are most unusual, some selections from mixes and varieties I originally got from native seed search.

Would you like to grow them? These take around 6 and a half months to get into full production.

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I've spaced my beans at about three feet for the past few years. If I would have known that they could be spaced at 7-8 inches I would have been doing that from the start! At 3' the plants grew into large, bushy, leafy plants that produced well. I can't really say if production varies as I have been spacing my beans like that from that from the start.

Welcome to TEG, Idiggardening! :frow

PhilaGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Hi, Idiggardening! Welcome and greetings from snowy Philadelphia! :frow

Marshall, are some of those long season pole beans African varieties? I understand they require longer seasons than most North American growers have in order to bear pods. Maybe FL would be just what they need! (I know I am starting to feel that way too, with 6 more weeks of winter ahead of us!) :hit

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
These were from native seed search, and these varieties are mainly from the valleys of the southern parts of the sierra madre of mexico.

Latest posts