The Little Easy Bean Network - Get New Beans Varieties Nearly Free

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bluejay77 said:
I hope I can get all that grass killed and decomposed for planting by the 27th of May.
Are you waiting until May 27th to plant your beans? Or just that one bed? I still have to clean my pole bean bed, but figured I could plant them just about any time since May 15th is the last frost date here, we will have 40 or better nights this week, a warming trend next week, and voila, it's the 15th! We're in much the same planting zone.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't recommend soaking the beans before you plant. Soaking them gives them too much water and can potentially smoother them. They will soak up just the moisture they need from moist soil that is not always soaking wet. It would be a shame to kill those beautiful Black Coco beans.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm hoping I can get all the grass and and roots decomposed before the 27th of May. I preparing some virgin ground. There has been nothing but grass growing on the piece for years. The soil is still to lumpy and too much material from the grass to work with it satisfactorily. My planting will be determined mostly by the condition I can get this soil into by then. I pick May 27th because I know I can get good healthy crops of seed matured and harvested before killing frosts in October. I would love to plant before if the soil condition warrants it and the weather allows it. The earlier I can plant my beans will allow the beans to put out more growth before the japanese beetles begin to be a problem. I'm hoping the beetle populations will settle down, which is what they are naturally supposed to do after the beetles have been in an area for a couple of years. Two years ago in mid July japanese beetles took one of my neighbors twenty foot tall trees and completely striped the leaves in about a week.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
My garden is lucky concerning the Beetles. My Lizards mostly eat them, and I think my frogs and toads do too. Happy to report that STUMPY the Lizard is back again, 3rd year in a row. He lost his tail a couple years ago. Last year it was just healed with a stub of a point for a tail, this year his tail is half length. I saw him wrassling a blue belly a couple days ago. I don't think their mouths biting each other does much if any damage. The blue belly just left discouraged by stumpy's prowess. Stumpy was doing that up down thing with his body and legs saying, mess with my space huh? But I did see a small green Beetle munching a bean plant. It went to heaven instant like. Frogs are making their holes in the ground and laying in wait.

the1honeycomb

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Glad I didn't soak my beans!!! they are planted and I am excited!!!! will need to look up all the do's and don'ts for them!!!!:clap

we need to post pics of our beans! it will be fun to watch each of our beans come to maturity!!! :pop

I love seeing the pics