The Little Easy Bean Network - Get New Beans Varieties Nearly Free

the1honeycomb

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I know that my response is a little late but I hope that you get my email. This is very exciting. I have built a large plot for the beans. thank you for this opportunity!!

bj taylor

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Russ, I just sent you an e-mail too. I hadn't seen this thread till this morning. it's exciting. sure hope it's not too late to get in. i'm going for a couple of limas & we've had such cold weather I don't think i'm too late.
this will be fun!

Thank you Russ! what a work you are doing!

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hey BJ and Honeycomb glad to have you as part of the Little Easy Bean Network! Got your emails today and the beans are now on the way to you.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Marshall wrote to me today and was curious as to how I organized my bean growing. I've got my planting diagram already made up so I thought I would paste it in below. So this is my Bean Plot #1 out of two gardens that I have planned. It will be 49 feet wide and 69 feet long. I spent a number of hours placing varieties so beans with too similar seedcoats would not grow side by side in adjacent rows, and since there are as many as 5 varieties per row the seedcoat patterns of the seeds grown within the row would be easy to seperate also at harvest time. You will notice some repeat variety names. That means I am growing a different strain of the same variety. In one case I'm multiplying a bean variety for someone who almost lost their bean. I got two seeds from that person last year, and those two seeds wound up producing 80 seeds. I will be planting about 50 seeds of that bean and sending a nice healthy increase to that person in the autumn. Bean rows numbers 1- 22 are spaced 29 inches apart. Seeds within the row are spaced 7 inches apart. I do not do any thinning.

2 feet of border space. South End Of Bean Garden

1. Kishwaukee Yellow #1 Maria Zeller Orca - Stevensons Blue Eye - Rose Creek Beauty

2. Comtesse de Chambord Speckled 1770 Taylor Contender Junin

3. Contender Lynnfield Dwarf Red Koronis Purple Frauenbohne

4. Tarahumara Capriame - Smith River SS Midnight BTS Bird Egg Fisher

5. Kishwaukee Yellow #5 Greencrop Johns Bean Pawnee Wanamingo

6. Maria Zeller Owls Head Black Coco Purple Trout - Stevensons Blck Eye

7. Alice Snshine Beka Brwn Maria Zeller Kenearly Heilings

8. Kishwaukee Yellow #8 Jacobs Cattle Lavender Striped Thrush Evening Moon

9. Tendercrop Bountiful Great Lakes Special VT Appaloosa - Littlefilds Special

10. Palomino Early Warwick Yellow Soldier Eden Prairie Illinois Wax

11. Koronis 3 Islands Dog Bean Fowler Goose Carnberry Comtesse de Chambord

12. Maine Sunset Lina Sisco Flamboyant Cedar Lake - Gross Bros VT Cranberry

13. African Premier Speckled 1770 - Black Eyed Gem Vermont Yellow Eye Double Helix Orca

14. Cream 6 Weeks Brittle Wax Thibodeaux Comte Beauce - Crow River Black Cherry Trout

15. Red-Eyed Ranger King Earlies Provider Stevnsons Blue Eye Early Yellow 6 Weeks

16. Stevensons Black Eye - Purple Amazon Freckles Rockwell Horsehead

17. Money Victoria Brown Eyes - Falcon Bird Egg #2 Canoe

18. Bamburger Blaue Orca Knepleys 40 Bushel Weiner Trieb Choctaw

19. Maggies Cresent Buffy Tenes Bean Hiawatha White Robin

20. Hiawatha Light - Red Turtle Purple Face Magpie Canadian Wild Goose

21. Purple Jester Corbett Refugee Shoshone - Crystal Wax Molasses Face

22. Blue Jay ( 32 seeds, 18 inch spacing )

4 feet space

Row Of Tomatoes

5 feet of space

Pole Bean Rows

1. Black Turkey Red Calico - Buxston Buckshot Brejo

5 feet of space

2. Hanna Hank - Uzice Speckled Wax Slovenia III - North Pole

2 feet of border space. North End Of Bean Garden

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ok ! Here is my Bean Plot Diagram #2. They are all pole beans. This plot will be 22 feet wide and about 82 feet long. Rows will be spaced 5 feet apart. I grow the beans on single poles made out of 1x2 inch pine firing stripes cut to about 6 feet 8 inches with a point cut at one end with my jigsaw. I simply take the time to drive all the single poles in the ground with a carpenters hammer. The poles will be spaced 4 feet apart in the row. All I can say is "Oh Lord I hope I can handle this"! I know it's a load. There are 8 pole lima varieties amongst all these. I've been working on roto-tilling up my plot #1 so far. I tilled it once last autumn, and twice this year so far. It started out as grass. Like a great big lawn. It full of roots. I hope I can get all that grass killed and decomposed for planting by the 27th of May. I've done it once before on a good size plot. Hope I can accomplish this again.

Bean Planting Diagram 2013
Plot # 2 All Pole Beans

1. Brown Eyed Goose Illinois Giant

2. Neables Ukranian Prairie Patch

3. Snow On The Mountain Weaver

4. Maries Experimental Wonder Papa De Rolla

5. Yellow Orange Neptune

6. Nova Star Good Mother Stallard

7. Christmas Pebblestone

8. Lilascheke Georges Bean

9. Chocolate J. Carrolls West Virginia

10. Bosnian Pole Lapap

11. Red Lima Golden Lima

12. Peinsipps Zweifarbige - Pima Orange

13. Black Star Champagne

14. Forelle Fliederfarben Horn Speckled

15. Lila Stuart Purple Prince

16. Stevensons San Antonio

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wow, that's quite the garden Russ. Don't hurt yourself with all that rototilling. So organized!

I've got mine more organized this year, but not as well organized as yours. One of my beds, the one near the gate, is for beauty, the varieties of pole beans with the colorful or long pods, starting with the lowest pole in front, Rio Zape, followed by Kim's Italian Flat Green which seems to be a barely half runner. Wide Pod White Greasy is next, which seems to be a true vigorous half runner, and then Cherokee Trail of Tears, and then the Italian Borlotti Beauty Pod Pole, the Italian Flat Wax white seeded, and the Kentucky Wonder White Seeded, Dow Purple Pod, and then back down to an unknown growth pattern, Chile Kidney which looks like Louisiana Red Kidney, and oh shoot, forgot what's at the end. Oh yea, that is the end of it, but the White seeded McCaslan is in there, separated from the White seeded kentuky wonder. This bed is planted with the rows going the short way, only five or so seeds per rowI believe when I get to town I'll see if I can get a whole lot more 1x2 eight foot furring strips. Some of the pole varieties don't wrap around them very well, others do real well, so some need to have twine wrapped around them some, others, twine from one to the next one. Some will get to the top then grow right into the top netting. There's just no stopping it, but I do have my netting up a little higher this year, and I have the pole varieties under the higher places.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
OK, I just gotta ask......... with not one, but TWO bean Gurus here on this forum, I just gotta know.......... do ya'll ever EAT any of these beans or do ya'll just grow them to admire them? :lol: 'Cause I gotta admit, some of these are pretty enough to make jewelry with........and durn sure would be cheaper than "Every Kiss Begins With Kay's" !!!!!!!!! :gig

Latest posts