The Official Carrot Thread

SoyBean

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
They do look like that picture, but only the first two leaves, not the ones in the center, but they did just sprout within the past two days. I'm crossing my fingers that I don't kill them.

SoyBean

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Went out this morning and counted at least 20 sprouts. :) Since the sprouts are coming up right around where I put seeds and some are clumped together, they are definitely carrot sprouts.

Buff Shallots

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
SoyBean, could you go back and edit this thread title to read "Official Carrot Thread" instead of "Carrot Sprouts"? If someone, some day, does a search on "carrot", they'll know this is the place to go.

Thanks for starting it.

SoyBean

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Done! :)

Well my camera is officially MIA. I can't get pictures of the sprouts until I find it. I'll try and find it tomorrow morning but rah, that thing goes missing so much these days.

So, how long does it normally take after they sprout till harvest? I guess it all depends on the kind of carrot. Mine are supposed to get 6-8 inches long I think. I can't wait. I love fresh carrots.

redhen

Leafing Out
Reaction score
how long 'till i should see sprouts?...its been about a week now and nothing!...also..i planted radishes in the same row with carrots...heard somewhere they help the carrots with something(not sure what)..hope i did the right thing!..i'm new at this..sorry..;o)

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
redhen said:
how long 'till i should see sprouts?...its been about a week now and nothing!...also..i planted radishes in the same row with carrots...heard somewhere they help the carrots with something(not sure what)..hope i did the right thing!..i'm new at this..sorry..;o)
You should see sprouts within 1-2 weeks normally but it can take up to 3 weeks sometimes. Carrots sprout under warmer, moist conditions. Radishes help make carrots more tender. They do plant well together.

Buff Shallots

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I never knew that about sowing radishes next to carrots.

My carrot seed packages say it takes 7 to 10 days for the sprouts to show. Or in my case, 2 years ! (pout, pout)

Days-til-harvest time varies...

Maybe I should take up bowling instead of gardening...

SoyBean

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Mine came in about a week I think. I had them outside in the warm weather and kept their soil watered. I just checked and I have a few more coming up.

pate4ever

Sprout
Reaction score
Does anyone have any tips on direct seeding carrots? We keep trying to grow pelleted carrot seeds but we never have any success with germination. Thanks a bunch.

Latest posts